View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Arawethiel’s post

Falco Brandybuck paused for a moment from where he was working in one of the fields. It was a cool sunny morning but already Falco could feel the sweat starting to trickle down his back and face from working. Sighing he wiped his sleeve across his forehead and started to bend down to continue his work when he heard Amaryllis' mother calling to him from the edge of the field. "Falco! Could you come here for a moment? I have a favor to ask of you."

Dusting off his trousers Falco quickly strode over to where Amaryllis' mother was standing and asked "What would you like me to do for you?"

"Ama has been gone a long time fetching some flowers for me. Could you please go and find her? I swear once she gets in the woods she forgets about all of her responsibilities at home." Amaryllis's mother said exasperatedly.

"Don't worry Mrs. Buckland, I'll go find Ama for you." Falco replied to her.

"Thank you dear. You're a good hobbit lad for doing this for me."

Nodding his head to her Falco turned and headed towards the woods that surrounded the Brandywine River hoping this was where Ama had went. Falco did not want to spend his entire morning searching for Ama when he had other work to do.

After walking along through the trees Falco eventually reached the river and thought he saw some figures standing near the Brandywine Bridge. Heading that way he discovered Ama talking with her cousin Olo, one hobbit lad, and two other hobbit lasses. All conversation ended, however, as soon as the hobbits noticed him.

Ignoring their silence towards him, Falco turned to Ama and curtly said "Ama, your mother wants you back home. She says you have other chores to do besides picking flowers."

"Oh! I didn't realize how long I've been here. I haven't gathered any flowers yet because I've been so caught up in Olo's boat." Ama said.

"Boat?" Falco said in surprise and looked at the thing in question which Olo was standing in front of. Falco thought it looked rather flimsy and not too safe a way to travel.

"None of you are planning to sail in that are you?" He said to the group of hobbits.

"Of course we are!" Olo stated proudly. "My friends and I have been working on it for a long time and tomorrow we're going to sail it down the Brandywine River."

"I think not, that boat doesn't look sturdy enough to get you very far. Besides what business have you hobbits trying to sail a boat anyway. You should be working and not fooling around." Falco stated.

"Oh come on Falco. This boat is safe enough and besides what fun is working? Haven't you ever just once wanted to go on an adventure? See something else besides the crops you till everyday?" Olo asked him.

Falco was about to reply a negative when Olo's last words struck a chord in him. He was tired of working the fields, but always did so out of responsibility to his family. However, just once he would like to do something different and go somewhere else besides the fields.

Taking Falco's silence as an affirmative to his question, Olo asked him tentatively "Why don't you come with us? Go on a real adventure for once Falco?"

Falco debated with himself a moment more before he said "All right I'll go with you, but it's only for tomorrow right?"

"Yep! We'll be back by sunset." Olo responded.

"I'll be there tomorrow morning," Falco said "Ama I'll tell your mother that you're coming soon so that you can finish picking your flowers.

With that said Falco turned and headed back to the crop fields still not entirely sure why he had agreed to go on this little adventure in a makeshift boat.