View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #204
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

After the incident with the bandits, all went smoothly for the company. They reached Michel Delving and did their shopping there, then turned and hurried back for home.

They arrived in Bywater and bought the food they needed, and then returned to Hobbiton, where they first went to their families. They were greeted with hugs and kisses and many questions. Mr. Tussock was indeed glad that the ponies had come back safely.

The next thing to do was rush straight to Bag End to let Mr. Bilbo know they had been successful in their mission and tell all their tales. Bilbo took the runaways into the kitchen gave them sound scolding, and he didn't know until afterwards that Bowman had been hiding in a cupboard, listening. Bowman received a scolding as well.

Then they all went home, Mr. Bilbo whispering to Primrose to come before anyone else the next morning.

=========

September the 22nd, 1393 S.R.

There was a soft knock on the door. Bilbo, who had been waiting there most of the morning, jumped up to open it, and saw exactly who he wanted to see: Primrose Tussock.

"Come in, Prim," he said. "Frodo is at the Green Dragon; I've convinced him to stay there until someone comes to fetch him."

"And what excuse did you give?" Primrose asked as she sat down in the chair Bilbo indicated to.

"I told him he'd have more fun at the Dragon than sitting around all day, trying not to get in the way of those setting up party decorations… Only I put it so he wouldn't know it was a surprise party."

Primrose nodded. "I can't wait to see his face when he comes in the door. He will be surprised."

They sat in silence for awhile, imagining Frodo's expression when his relatives and friends, young and old, jumped out from behind furniture and from dark corners.

"Well," said Bilbo. "Primrose, the reason I wanted you to come early is that I wanted to thank you. Of course all members of your company are to thank, but we couldn't have done it without you."

Primrose blushed furiously, but shook her head. "No, Bilbo, I couldn't have done it without them. Many was the time I wanted to turn back, and wished I had never endeavored to go, but the support and comfort and friendship of all who traveled with me made me go on."

Bilbo smiled. "We couldn't do without friends, Primrose. We most certainly couldn't."

=========

Everyone was gathered at Bag End later that day, making sure everything was ready for the party. Mel and Prim were chatting together, and strangely, what most occupied their talk was bandits.

Sam was sent to bring Frodo back from the Green Dragon, and everyone suddenly became tense. Bowman looked coolly around and asked, "Why are you all acting like stupid little girls, being so nervous?" He then walked calmly to a bookshelf and hid behind it.

There was a scramble to find hiding places, and then some relief. The door opened, and Sam was heard saying, "Count to fifty, and then you can go in. I just want to make sure everything Bilbo wanted to be done is done." Then Sam came running into the room.

"Lame excuse," Bowman muttered.

Sam was counting to himself. Twenty… thirty… "Forty," he said aloud, but very quietly.

And then Frodo came into the room. Everyone sprang out of their hiding places with a cry of, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" . . .

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]