View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 10:38 AM   #114
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bilbo had turned around and looked at Marigold with considerable surprise. "You know, I believe you're right. Now that you mention it, I also recall seeing this button on Lotho's coat. How very strange!"

Cami quickly responded to Bilbo, "Stange? I'd say more than strange! Why was Lotho hiding behind a tree in the exact same spot where Belle was hurt? I'd say it sounds mighty suspicious." Marigold looked up at Cami and nodded her head in agreement.

"Now, girls! Let's not get carried away with this. Just because Lotho lost his button there, it doesn't mean he had anything to do with Belle. He might have lost it a week ago. Perhaps, he climbed the tree to look out and see something, and his button caught on a branch and ripped off. We can't go around accusing Lotho without more evidence than this. Anyways, we have too much work to be spending time worrying about such things. I have new assignments for you children."

Bilbo made the girls promise that they wouldn't say anything about the button to anyone else, at least not for the time being.

"Now, let's see about that next chore...., " Bilbo smiled and looked down at the girls. "We're going to need a lot more flour for all those cakes and cookies and pies we'll be baking. This afternoon, could you come back to Bag-end, hitch Nell up to the cart, and take her down to the mill? Usually, Ted sends his boy up with the deliveries, but he's not feeling well. If we want more flour, we'll need to go down and get it ourselves."

Cami made a face. "The mill? Ted Sandyman? He's never been a favorite of mine. What a grouch! A real grouch!"

Bilbo quickly interjected. "Now, Cami, please keep such opinions to yourself. That's not very nice. Anyways, whether you like Ted or not, it's the only place nearby to get some flour. We surely can't wait till the other hobbits get back from their tour of the Shire as there won't be any time left for us to do the baking."

He gave Cami a purse with six gleeming silver coins to pay for the large amount of flour they would need, and warned her to be very, very careful with it. He warmly thanked Marigold for recognizing Lotho's button and Cami for finding it behind the tree. Then he sent the girls off on their own and said he would see them later today when they came back with Sam and Elanor for the pony and cart.

When they were finally out the door, Bilbo sat down and thought carefully about what had happened. He hadn't wanted to say anything to the girls, but he was also suspicious about exacty what that button meant. He resolved to go speak with Lotho's mother as soon as he had a spare moment, and find out just what was behind all this. Then he went in to check on Belle, and see how the girl was doing.

[ February 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]