View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 01:16 PM   #245
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

When Bullroarer found Tomba, the boy lay sleeping soundly, exhausted by the exertions of the journey and the battle. He pulled a blanket up close under the young Hobbit’s chin and left him to sleep until morning.

Carl had already gone by the time Bullroarer crawled from his bedroll. Olo’s horse was gone,too, and as he looked about the sleeping Hobbits, he did not find him there. Giles was on watch, faithfully keeping the fire built up. A pot of water had been set to boil, and Bullroarer made tea for himself, waving Giles off for some much needed rest. He made an extra mug for Tomba, whom he could see stirring on the other side of the fire, and sweetened it with honey.

‘Come talk with me, sleepyhead!’ he chuckled, handing the bleary eyed boy the mug. Tomba wrapped his blanket close around him and the two sat on a log pulled near the fire, their heads close together talking quietly.

Tomba’s face was serious as he listened to the older Hobbit outline his plan. And several times he looked up at him, his eyes widening. A certain pride grew in him as he understood his skills were counted by this man as of some value and that he was needed to assist the companions reach their goal.

‘It will take me some time to teach someone what they need to do.’ said Tomba, carefully considering what had been asked of him.

‘You will have a fortnight, Tomba. By then we will have reached The Last Bridge, over the River Hoarwell. Carl and Olo will rejoin our group there – though I do expect one or two reports back from them as we travel forward – and we will proceed then on the last leg of our journey to Rivendell.

The sun was well up by the time they finished talking. The other companions were stirring. Branda checked on the injured, saying they were fit to travel by wagon. After a short breakfast, the Hobbits gathered up their belongings, doused the fire, and headed east once more . . .