Thread: Wolf Run RPG
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 03:11 AM   #106
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

Ned's shoulder hurt abominably, and he was so covered with scratches from head to foot he looked like an escaped art project. But none of this really mattered, in his mind. He remembered all too well the feeling of the fight, of being held helpless under the weight of the wolf and of Elfred's corpse. He remembered trying to help Autumn and failing, staring directly into the yellow eyes of the Warg and knowing, just knowing that he had failed. It was the worst feeling of his life, and one that he expected wouldn't leave him alone for a good long while.

He spent the rest of the day in shock, moving mechanically when told to, responding to queries with short, brusque answers. At some point, he couldn't remember when, someone had put his arm into a sling. He skipped the congratulatory dinner, preferring instead solitude and the night sky. He thought about Elfred. How the old shepherd had encouraged him, spoke to him, even scolded and (on occasion) beat him seemed like pleasant memories.

He drew his sword awkwardly, and looked at the blade, glinting in the light thrown down by the Moon. Such a simple thing. He was filled with self-loathing then, thinking; 'Some hero you are. I suppose now it's back to the Pony, to recount your bravery to all the farmers? Why, it took all you had to drive off a single wolf, and when your friends needed you, where were you? Sitting helpless. That's where. Had to be rescued yourself. Elfred's death is your fault.' The thought was so horrible he had to think it twice. 'Your fault.' He knew intellectually that this was untrue, but that hardly mattered. Tears began to stream down his face, unnoticed. They splattered on the sword blade. "It is strange," he said softly, his voice shaking, "that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over such a little thing. Just a sword."

He knew then, what to do. He was no hero, no Bandobras the Bullroarer, to destroy Goblin kings with a single blow. He cocked his arm, ready to throw the hated blade into the bush and be done with it, when he heard footsteps.

"I wondered what had become of you, Ned. Seems the bushes are a popular place tonight. Nariah and Anuionin are over there..." Autumn trailed off as she saw his tears. "Oh, I'm so sorry. It was a bad joke."
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha