Thread: Wolf Run RPG
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 12:45 AM   #1
Dwarin Thunderhammer
Khazad-Doomed

Dwarin Thunderhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Wolf Run RPG

Gaddy Furbarrow walked along the worn road of Bree that lead to the Inn of the Prancing Pony. As he darted past the huge carts of the Big Folk, Gaddy looked down at the rolled up piece of paper that he held protectively in his hands. He had to delver this safely to the Prancing Pony. There, he would gather together some men and women, big and small, to join him on the mission that he had been assigned to by the mayor and the sheepraisers of Bree.

Suddenly the Inn of the Prancing Pony loomed over the hobbit. Walking into the warm inn, Gaddy was greeted by sound of singing and the smell of delicious food cooking. Gaddy walked over to the warm fire, the nights in Bree kept getting colder, though the days were still plenty warm, to warm his hands. In the inn were gathered an odd looking group. There were an assortment of hobbits, Big Folk, and even the occasional elf or dwarf.

Walking over to the Innkeeper, Gaddy talked to him alone for a moment, and explained his situation. The innkeeper gave Gaddy permission to tack his notice there and make his announcement. Going back into the noisy and stuffy room once again, Gaddy took a chair from one of the tables and dragged it to to the middle of the room. People began to notice the hobbit now, and all conversations ceased as the travelers gazed curiously over at him.

Gaddy then stood up on the chair, unrolled his paper and began to read, “It seems that a incredible stroke of luck has befallen our little town of Bree. As the harvest nears, the farmers have noticed that their crops are nearly double that of the previous years. This fantastic stroke of good fortune has also greatly affected another facet of life: sheep herding.”

“Due to our town’s remote location, Bree did not have the luxury of specializing their local economy like Lake Town or Dale. Instead of simply producing one product for trade, the men, hobbit, and the occasional dwarf have diversified into many areas. The inhabitants of Bree have been raising sheep since the founding of the town, using their wool for clothing and milk to make cheese. These wooly-coated animals generally spend most of the grazing in the hills around Bree, cared for and watched by a good number of shepherds. The town shelters a large number of corrals for these sheep inside the walls, guaranteeing them safety during the long nights. This past year, the output of wool has nearly tripled, and the corrals are overflowing with kids and yearlings.”

“But darker creatures are now lurking in the lonely lands surrounding Bree. A pack of Wargs has recently arrived in the area and has begun systematically raiding the flocks of sheep while they graze. At first, these casualties were merely passed off as normal attrition. The lands surrounding Bree had never been free of pests, and it was normal that a few sheep would be lost to the occasional bear or wolf. However, as the summer has now worn on, the mortality rate of the sheep has begun to skyrocket. Shepherds have told tales of an old wolf that would trick them into chasing him, and that when they return, they find their flock scattered and shattered. The mayor of Bree, Brand Orger, has decided that this can not continue. These attacks are seriously hurting the intake of wool, and the loss of several of the best breeders can not be accepted.”

After rolling up the notice, Gaddy looked around the room. Everyone was staring wonderingly at him. Gaddy smiled, so he had finall y gained their attention, and said, “My name is Gaddy Furbarrow and I am a sheepraiser from around these parts. I have been recruited by the mayor and the other sheepraisers of Bree to organize an expedition to stop these vicious wolves from attacking the sheep of Bree and to protect the sheep. I will need some strong and willing people to go with me. Come now before me if you think that you are up to this challenge. I will judge if you truly are.”

Gaddy stood straight on the chair looking quite fierce and big there with his hands on his hips and a wry, challenging grin on his face. Gazing around the room, Gaddy dared anyone to step forward to present his or her case to the hobbit.

---Galadel Vinorel