View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 04:48 AM   #164
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Remdil and Dineniel's conversation was interrupted by the entrance of a sharp-eyed woman of no great beauty but whose face was lined with years of care and experience. It was a strong face, and full of character. At the moment, it was also filled with a towering rage. Both Remdil and Dinenial recoiled at her entrance.

"Eolinda, what-" Remdil's voice was near panic and he moved to put the table between them. He had experienced his wife's anger in the past and always did his utmost avoid her then. He loved Eolinda, but in the deep places of his soul, places he wasn't quite aware of even after twenty years of marriage, she terrified him.
"Where is she?"
"Who?-"
She overrode him. "Where is she? She's with that Tannor again, isn't she? I told her to stay away from him!"
"Eolinda-"
Again, she ignored him. "Well, She'll never see him again, I guarantee it! Remdil, I want you to dismiss that no-account groom this moment! No, I'll do it myself, you never do anything right."
"But, Eolinda-"
She still hadn't really acknowledged his presence, despite giving him an order, and she hadn't run out of steam yet. She interrupted him once again, or tried to, because Dineniel had seen how ineffectual Remdil was being so she stood up and slapped Eolinda sharply across the face. The woman stopped abruptly, as if...well, as if she'd been slapped and was unable to do anything but stare at the Elf for what seemed like minutes, but was really only a few seconds.
Remdil was also shocked, but not as much so as Eolinda, who'd never been struck in her life.

Remdil sighed in relief. One thing he was glad for: Eolinda's rages were spectacular, but they were also usually brief. "Ah, thank you, Razawyn. Now, Eolinda, what were you saying? Eolinda?"
Eventually she turned toward him, still bemused. "Huh? Oh! Have you seen Livia? She not in the inn; I think she's out with that no good groom again."
Remdil looked distinctly uncomfortable. "Uh...Eolinda, I'd think you'd better sit down."
She did so, giving him a questioning look as she did so.
Remdil took a deep breath and told her of the events of the night before, beginning with Cadra's murder by a brigand and ending with Livia's kidnapping by that same brigand. He introduced Dineniel as "Razawyn" and didn't tell Eolinda of her part in the mess, because he had a use for the Elf and thought that if his wife knew about Dineniel's part, she might do something...precipitous. He finished by requesting that she stay in Garolin and tend the inn while he and Razawyn went after the brigands. Her reaction was about what he expected.
"What?! You expect me to stay behind while Livia's out there somewhere, kidnapped by brigands? No. No, no, no!" Each "no" was puncuated by a sharp shake of her head.
All Remdil could do was attempt to make her see reason, but he had little hope of success. He would try, though. "But, Dear, who would run the inn while we were gone? Someone has to stay behind, if only for that."
She snorted. "Make that no good Uncle of yours do it. By the Valar, he's supposed to own the place! He's never even around."
The dicussion continued in this vein for some time before Remdil gave up and allowed that she could go with them to rescue Livia. Dineniel was relieved; she stayed out of it, since it seemed to be a family matter, and by the end she'd gotten very bored. She'd been able to tell in the first five minutes that Remdil would lose the argument, but she'd had no choice but to wait. But finally, they were able to leave the inn and set out.