View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 10:36 AM   #386
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sharon:

No problem. I was confused, that's all. I am perfectly happy to send you whatever I write (You should be used to that by now.) In fact, if you like, I'll send it all to you and you can decide when and how it goes up. You're the editor, after all.

Quick reactions:

Yes, Loremaster should chair the meeting; Phura was going to make a point of giving him the robe back, for a while at least.

Elders--Esta, Tuka, and their two kid brothers now live with Elder Tura; that's all I know right now. Your guesses all sound great... 45+, etc. I've tried twice to come up with more Westron names and I get stuck. We've used all the syllables that look good to me. Name them whatever you like! (Bilbo! ...nah.)

Who is on the list: I don't know who is on the list for the final day (to get rescued.) Bird, create anybody that you like. Somebody is on the list for the day before, and they're not getting rescued. (Not Loremaster.) That leads into the Pio and Gamba question; Sharon, I'll send you what I've got on that so far; he's been distracted. From that you can guess who gets selected 2 days before rescue. I guess my "secret" plot twist is hereby given away.

Gamba will be involved with the Locks as you suggest, and that dovetails nicely with the other stuff. For purposes of the story: I know Meridoc the Smith was abducted during breakfast; but all the other hobbits have disappeared in the dead of night. The guard was supposed to be unusual (remember he's the first person Gamba has seen abducted.) Abductions normally occur around midnight or one, they are raced up the hill (by horseback perhaps) and are dead before dawn. Darkness for dark business, as they say.

If we assume that, then, to be effective, rescue will be a midnight-to-3 am one. Let me know if that dovetails with what you are thinking. Black dragon?

Bird, we can collaborate on that too; I'll have a desperate, failed rescue attempt, I think, the night before you are "on". You can ask questions from those who failed (Tuka, Gamba.)

Since the rescue is at midnight, too, does this present a problem? Is Bird rescuing the sacrifices the night before the rescue or the night of the rescue? Pio, you said "midnight rescue" if I recall-- did you mean 12:00-ish, or "nighttime when it's dark"?

Meeting stuff:
Phura and Tuka will be the weapons guys. Tuka will be there as Elder Tura's adopted son. I'll be glad to forward that stuff.

I know it's awkward, but can Bird not morph and not be a woman in this meeting? (Unless you want a major scene from Phura to completely disrupt and sideline the meeting. I was really hoping to save that for on board the Star. )
Any other stable form-- raven, bug, landlocked Dolphin... big dragon squeezed into tiny cave... just please, please, not lady-form. It's fine if she talks in bird or bug form.

If all that is impossible, I'm willing to make up some excuse for Phura to not be at the meeting, and have somebody else cover for him.

Sharon, I'll send you some stuff about Gamba's "distraction", and the weapons stuff will go to you and Pio both.