View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 08:54 AM   #385
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Helen --

Sorry. Part of the slowdown is me. It's hard for me to post much Friday afternoon through Saturday because of family commitments and shabbat. Plus, the hobbit council meeting is a section that requires planning and coordination.

Since I'm drafting the skeleton of the hobbit meeting that takes place the evening of 13 Cermie, we didn't want the chronology of the story to sweep past that point. The other problem is that the hobbit meeting has to be dovetailed with the response by Pio to our strategy questions. So Pio and I have to communicate some way. I'll probably be sending her a draft by e-mail. Then we'll figure out whether it's better to do it by cut and paste in one giant post, or by separate threads.

For example, I assume Pio will tell a little about the chief members of the fellowship as an introduction to the hobbits. And I also assume some of the hobbits will be a bit alarmed when they hear that one of the leaders of the rescue is a Man. (What will Gamba think when he not only hears Pio is married, but that she is married to a Man?) That's the kind of interaction we need to plan.

However, I don't think there's any problem with posts that stay within the chronology. Some of my characters do their best work in the middle of the night.

I have several questions. If anyone can help, please be my guest:

Attendance at Meeting: I am assuming the meeting will have about 13
people:

Loremaster
Phura
Gamba (invited because of his
position in the Locks)
5 Elders
3 sons/daughters of elders
Bird
Pio

Is there anyone else at this meeting? Even with Phura's new status, I think Loremaster would "chair" this meeting.

Place of the meeting: How about the mines in the dead of night? Hobbits would have to filter back there bit by bit, so the guards wouldn't notice a clump going at once.

Helen, can you give me any more information on the Elders, either individually or generically. Otherwise I'll use my own imagination. Do I have the numbers right? What "age" are the Elders? (In Beleriand, they were what I would call middle-aged, 45 and up. Has this changed?)

Bird, what 'form' will you be in when you attend this meeting? I assume you will lead Pio to the meeting. Do you want your character to speak at the meeting itself in favor of the plan to save the people in the Locks, and also to plan an ambush of the last two hobbits who are going to be sacrificed? Would you like to write this section yourself, and forward a copy to Pio (and me) to place in the giant cut and paste post? (I can do the writing if you prefer but I thought it would have more flavor coming from Bird!)

Helen, Regarding the Locks Is it alright if Gamba 'volunteers' to help lead the assault on the locks?

Big Question re Ambush: What are the last two names on the selection list for that final day? Is one of them Loremaster or is this too 'convenient'? Anyone have any ideas who's on that list?

Regarding Daisy and the Locks: Is it possible that she will purposely do something to get herself a longer sentence in the Locks? It might be convenient to have an 'inside' prisoner when the break-out comes. Also, that means Kali will be able to race in towards the Locks at the time of the rescue and help "save" his embattled sweetheart. I am envisioning the Locks as a real pitched battle going on for some time. What do you think? I am assuming Anee will not stay in prison, but will go out so she can help Gamba plan and prepare for the assault.

Phura and Weapons:-- Helen, do you want Phura to give a brief report on what the hobbit's have decided to do about weapons? If so, that should be sent to Pio (and please me too) for inclusion in the big post. If you prefer, I can do the writing but I'd still need the basic info on what the hobbits are planning to do. (Plus, again, it would have more flavor coming from Phura's creator.)

Suggested Timeline: Helen and Pio-- if you decide to write the section for your character, try to e-mail it out to us by Sunday morning. (I'll probably be the one to mess up on this!!)

Any other suggestions, ideas, comments on this whole thing.

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]