View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 09:24 PM   #217
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Another point to consider:

Mithadan is a man of Numenorean descent, proud of it, and one who tries to maintain his honor in it.

He's also one who constantly reminds his crew about responsibility, chain-of-command, and The Captain Being Responsible for the actions of His Crew.

If in spite of all that, he could, under duress, shrug all that off, and say to himself, "Well, regardless of the societal norms this will flout; regardless of what kind of impact this will have on my crew's respect for me; regardless of what effect this has on morale; regardless of what effect it will have on my crew to realise that I have flouted the conservative societal rules that hobbits, men, and elves grow up with in Middle Earth-- well, nevermind all that. Maybe on a ship this small nobody will notice. And if they do maybe it won't matter."

He's not that much of a wymp. He would have stood his ground, and insisted on maintaining his crew's respect for him.

Piosenniel might not have worried about the rules. Mithadan would have. He's always tried to maintain a tight ship, and he's not about to lose his (conservative) crew's respect. He would fight to keep it.