View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 01:41 PM   #245
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Calimir boarded the Silver Wyrm hesitantly, hesitant to face his longing for the waves again. He didn't want to savor the way the clouds reflected in the green water, or the way the ship rolled beneath him. The distraction was too great, and Calimir longed with all his heart to ride fast and far to Rivendell, to be with Glorenwen again.

He knew though, that it wouldn't be for long. A few years of the sun, saying their last goodbyes, and then they would be gone from this land of change and death, gone across the timeless waters. His wife's form danced around the edge of his mind, now that their quest was completed. The thoughts of his family preoccupied him through the long hot days on the ship. Preoccupied him enough that he forgot to watch the sunlight dancing on the waves crest, and watched instead the forms of Bregand and Carmalita talking on the deck.

Enien understood, he thought, she knew the pull of the sea and the pull of her family long gone. Bregand understood too, the elf thought, though he didn't know how. But the light was there in the boy's eyes when they encountered each other on the deck, and Calimir knew that he understood the haste and longing that he felt. Thoughts of the sea and sky, thoughts of walking under the trees and the free night beneath the stars were consumed by his need to be with his wife, touch her hands, watch her eyelids flicker while she slept.

When the ship embarked at Harlond, Calimir joined the company, out of courtesy, and in order to say a last goodbye to those who were staying there. It was a grey morning when he rode away from the Chambrias'. A grey morning, and a fleet grey horse bore him. He knew no horse would take him as far as Rivendell at the speed he pushed his mount out of the city of Gondor. But he cared little, except for the wind on his face and the fact that Enien rode beside him on Melliant, her hair flying out behind her. The road north would lead him home, and the road beyond Westward would lead him home forever.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!