View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 04:53 PM   #101
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Slowly the sky began to fade into the palest of blue, beginnings of the sun starting to creep over the landscape. When Rangar saw this, he pounded his fist into the nearest tree. Turthol did the same, adding on to the growing, grim reality that wherever Wren had been taken, it was beyond their reach. Neither one wanted to head back, and neither one had any idea about what to do, either. Rangar's head now started to ache, No sign, no sign at all. He heard Turthol mutter, "Come on Wren, give us something." in his anger. The sun now began to rise. "Well," Said Turthol loudly and angrily. "Things just keep getting better!" "Shut up, will you?" Muttered Rangar, vexed.

They both leaned against a rocky outcropping covering a dry area of ground. "Well, we have to get back to the others." Rangar muttered at last. It was no use. All he could do was hope that Wren would escape. "Do we?" Muttered Turthol, more to himself then to Rangar. "What?" "I mean, we, well, we could just, I dunno Rangar. Why can't it still be just the two of us?" Exactly. Thought Rangar Why couldn't it? No more company, no more leadership, no responsibility, no more feeling awkward and guilty. It was a tantalizing offer. But, there was the mother, the boy, the blacksmith, all the others who put their trust in him. "No." Said Rangar slowly. "We can't, no this time. Do you remember what it's like to lead, Turthol?" But Rangar already knew the answer. " No, I failed. Didn't I ever tell you?" He responded bitterly. "Only in your dreams." Rangar muttered. Then, a new question popped into his mind. "Are you afraid Wren will turn into Sartir, and this company will turn into," "No" Turthol near shouted, exasperatedly.

But, Rangar could see otherwise in his face, eyes full of pain. "Just drop it." "Fine." An awkward silence ensued. Then, just as Rangar was ready to suggest leave again, a small crack echoed from beyond the outcropping. "Did you hear something?" A muffled voice sounded from behind the rock. "Shut up!" Rangar and Turthol looked at each other for a moment, then drew their swords.

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]