View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #62
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Desolyn crouched over and stared at the map, deep in thought. The question Lanbriel had asked repeated in her head again and again. Why would an Easterling give Fionel a map? Did he actually want to help or was this some sort of trick?

She argued with herself on this matter for some time before making her decision. They had to take advantage of this map. That, or be caught.

"We can't keep running like this," Desolyn said aloud suddenly. She had not spoken since they had started running, and all the other slaves turned their heads to her; many had just noticed her presence. "The Easterlings will come on horseback and catch up with us quickly. Those who are weaker and cannot run, like Turos here, will not stand a chance. And even those who are stronger and faster will eventually tire, and then meet their doom. We cannot run."
Fionel looked at Desolyn and nodded. "I agree with you there. Running will do us no good. That is what the Easterlings want us to do."
"Well, what do we do, then?" asked someone.
Fionel stared back down at the map. "I'm not sure," she said blankly. "I'm thinking..."
"I have plan," Desolyn interrupted.
"Oh no," Lanbriel groaned. "Not another one your plans. Your plans always fail."
Desolyn glared at her. "Why would you say that?"
"Because you have attempted to escape Nurn six times and have not once succeeded. Who says you'll be successful this time?"
Desolyn wanted to argue, but she resisted. She knew Lanbriel was not trying to be rude, but she was just frightened. They all were. "Well, do you want to hear my idea or not?" she sighed.
"I am willing to hear whatever you have to say," said the elf quietly.
"Aye," Haven agreed. "I will have to second that."
"Alright then," Desolyn nodded. "I was thinking about what Fionel said. The Easterlings want us to run and they expect us to. But what if...what if we did what the Easterlings least expected?"
"You want us to resist?" someone asked.
"That's crazy!" Lanbriel said. "The Easterlings are ten times stronger than us. We will all be killed in a second."
"Not necessarily," Des continued. "Not if we use the map."
Blank stares came from all directions. But in the corner of her eye, Des could see Fionel smile.