View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #56
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"...You have six hours!"

Despite her attempts at calm, Dôranna's heart was racing. She could hear her blood pounding in her temples, and her breath came quick and shallow. Her ice-blue eyes swept over the crowd, bloodthirsty and eager for the Hunt to begin, and she swallowed hard. It was easy enough to be defiant when it was only one Easterling being faced, but these thousands...she twisted a lock of blonde hair around her finger, and touched her already-sunburnt nose regretfully.

The jeers of the crowd put Dôranna into a cold sweat. How could they be so eager to see her die? Shivana's voice made her scowl. Of course they couldn't go yet. The flag was not down. She took a deep breath and tried to quell her anger.

"I guess this means we go?" asked Haven, beside her. Dôranna glanced at her, then concentrated on finding the best position from which to run. Her light shoes would do well for speed, but already the hard ground made her feet hurt. She could not think about that. These six hours could be the most important in her life.

The flag went down, and Dôranna was off.