Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002, 07:51 PM   #147
Gryphon Hall
Animated Skeleton

Gryphon Hall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Gryphon Hall
Shield

Marco looked up as Dadrantor left. 'What is going on?' he thought. He can still see vestiges of the forest around him in his mind's eye, but it was rapidly fading. For some reason, he was grieved that it was ending and he wished there was more.

'Oh, well,' Marco thought, trying to be resigned. He drank some more of the coffee (Powerful nutty stuff this is! he thought), then looked up. What he saw made him clutch his head.

'Wha-?' Marco saw several superimposed images of people moving around the inn. Some, like Galadel, Bethberry and some red-haired/golden-haired guy who just came in seemed seemed solid, but others seemed to waft in and out of the air, one moment taking on solidity, the next disappearing altogether. Most of them were elves. He looked around him and saw that, except for a few chairs and benches, the inn itself looked solid and real, probably the only reality at this point from where Marco can see. He saw the banners waving among the rafters in colorful splendor, the food going around, the mead, the coffee... and Bethberry, who seems to see all and notice all.

Bethberry looked at him and smiled, and some of his confusion was allayed.

Just then, two events seemed to happen, simultaneously.

-My Lords and Ladies, I come from The Lady Galadriel of Lothlorien.-

Galadriel! thought Marco, I thought she was dead, or gone. What's she doing giving summons? He tried to pay attention to the other semi-solid talking.

-Men, many men, Easterlings dressed as us. They wanted the horses.-

-There is dilemma in the Wood; a band of men have wandered for some time-

-Good people of Rohan and guests of the Mark,-

-near the wood and now their threat I fear is reaching its limit;-

-we are abused and assaulted within our very gates.-

-they have stolen not only goods but also a young elf has gone missing.-

-Our horses have been stolen, four of them mine, those of others as well.-

-I implore anyone who may be of help to find the girl,-

-One of our own has been wounded. Who will join me in pursuit to recover the horses?"-

-Nuhrive Fleetwood, to come with me to the Golden Wood."-

'`Tis a bad thing to steal any of the horses of Rohirrim, you know,' said the dwarf beside him. Marco turned to agree, and was surprised not to see Parin, but Corrin! 'Master-?' he began. 'Yes, awful bad thing. Might as well steal one of their women or babies, it doesn't matter,' continued Corrin, a male dwarf with a long brown beard, also carrying two bundles like Marco himself was carrying. 'The Horse-lords will go after 'em like nothing and make 'em pay.'

'Maybe,' Corrin added, 'maybe I go with them and test this out.' He was fingering an axe made in the mode of Erebor. Corrin looked at the lad he was talking to, but he was gone. 'Corrin, my boy,' said the dwarf to himself, '`tis a shame that you can no longer hold your liquor, talking to thin air like that.' Still, he greedily gulped his ale. 'But where's the fun if such good drink doesn't make you imagine stuff awhiles.' He raised his tankard to Bethberry, who smiled back.

Marco saw the dwarf, his master fade away with the messenger telling of the horses just before the messenger from the Golden Wood also fade. He looked at Bethberry, who smiled and said, 'Hmmmmm... do you think he would go after the horsethieves? Will they let him?' Then she chuckled to herself, as the red-haired/golden-haired elf eyed him with interest.

That elf! Marco thought angrily. That old, bewitching elf! And, and that tall elf lady...

Galadel suddenly looked pointedly at him and said with some heat, 'We had nothing to do with what you saw. It is just the property of this inn to attract adventures and quests from all times. You saw messengers calling for adventurers to quests from before you were born.' Eeeeep! thought Marco, You really stuck your foot in this one.

Galadel softened, than added, 'Don't worry overmuch.' Then she, too, smiled.

'Might as well bring my cart into the stable,' said Marco aloud. 'Can't leave it parked out in front.' He got up and awkwardly swung his arms and stamped his feet, then resolutely marched up to the entrance.

'Your room will be ready when you get back,' called Bethberry after him.

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Gryphon Hall ]