Thread: The White Horse
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 01:58 AM   #133
Airerûthiel
Wight

Airerûthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maikadurion was deep in thought for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, he nodded slowly. "I accept. My thanks to you, Bethberry, for your gracious offer. And as my primary job is to extract tales from patrons, may I start with my own?"

"Please do," said Bethberry, pouring herself a drink as she handed the half-Elf his pitcher. "I sensed you carried tales of this country, being dressed in the garb of a Ranger, and I would dearly like to hear your history if only for the sake of my own entertainment."

"My father was slain by wargs when I was two years old, and my mother died of a broken heart four years after that," began Maikadurion. "I remember little of them, so the fact they are dead does not sadden me. Orphaned and alone in Middle-earth, my younger twin brother Laitalathion and I went to the house of the Rocconinquë, where our mother's sister dwelt with her husband and children. Although they treated us as though we were their own, my brother and I always suspected we were seen as a burden that must be borne due to our blood and the relations between our two families.

"We dwelt in that place for four years, and then late one night just before the massacre of the White Horse, we stole away into the wilds of Gondor. Desiring to learn of our mother's people, we rode west to Lothlórien and Mirkwood, and later settled in Rivendell for some time. The Elves were hospitable and friendly, but we still did not feel as though this was the place of our destiny.

"Our desire to wander grew once more, so we took two white palfreys and rode back east until we came to the border of Rohan and Gondor. When we gave our names at the gates, they would not let us in; when we asked them why, we were told that our father had committed treason against the Steward of Gondor and as such all who followed in his bloodline would never set foot in that land again.

"Laitalathion said to me, 'Brother, let us go back to the western lands of the Elves, our mother's kind, where we might learn more of our family. I hear rumours that those in our aunt and uncle's house were slain, but my dreams tell me hope remains for the Rocconinquë.'

"I answered him, 'My younger kinsman, to do so would result in nothing save grief and despair. I am going to remain in this country of Rohan, and if you choose to go away and search for any family we may yet have, I give you only my blessing.'

"'If it is your wish to remain in this land, where we will be neither accepted nor resented by many, then I trust we will both live to see the other one day in our futures,' replied Laitalathion. 'Namarië.'

"He then rode away back in the direction we had come not long before, whilst I remained in Rohan for some time, wandering the wilds - I was forced to sell my horse to allow myself to buy food within a month, and so have spent some months wandering in this country. Eventually I decided that my days of walking in this land were over, and so I set out to search for honest work. Finding no-one willing to give me a job, I remembered I had seen this inn not long before and came here in the hope that you might give me some work.

"My thanks to you once again, good lady Bethberry." Maikadurion drained his mug and stood up. "When do you wish me to begin my duties in this inn?"