View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 03:00 PM   #507
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Take a breath, Bird! And let me get in an answer or two to your litany of questions and observations.’ Pio picked up her glass, swirling the light red liquid around in it, watching the sunlight glint off the surface.

‘I am really not all that worried about Cami and her Hobbit band. I have every confidence in her ability to lead them well and safely.’ she intoned. Bird, unconvinced, arched an eyebrow at the Elf. Pio laughed, ‘Alright, you know me too well. I had a long discussion with Legolas. Just a few suggestions to him. No threats, not exactly, that is. He’s a nice kid. He and his band will get them safely to the North.’ ‘Despite the bumbling, though well meant intentions of Radagast.’ she added to herself.

‘As to the wine, the piloting, and the swollen ankles – I want to keep myself busy so I do not find time to worry so much. So, I will focus on the ship’s course, keeping a clear head with the watered wine. And your concern about the ankles is duly noted, though I cannot recall any Elven woman with them.’
A small adjustment to the wheel to keep the ship in deeper waters, then she continued on. ‘As to Mithadan, I have no idea what he is doing. But Bird, please, let’s just have a smooth trip home. No aggravations.’

Bird snorted, muttering ‘killjoy’ under her breath, but nodded her head in agreement. She had heard that women in Pio’s condition often have violent mood swings. No need to have the Elf skewer her with a knife over some practical joke. ‘Where was Angara when she needed her!’ she thought. ‘That pesky Wyrm would have proved a useful ally with whom to needle the Captain unmercifully.’

The remainder of the trip downriver was uneventful for the Star, proving much faster now that they sailed with the current. Pio had gone over her plans with Kali, several times, concerning the use of the time crystal to get everyone to their required destinations.

Mithadan spent the river voyage conducting an assay of the Lonely Star's condition. The vessel had been at sea far too long and had weathered storms as well as having been over-burdened by the presence of their Hobbit guests. Once back in Gondor in the Fourth Age, the Star would not go back to sea for some time.

In time, he presented Piosenniel and Bird with a list of repairs and overhauls that the ship would require. Bird had nearly choked upon reading the report, squacking angrily about how she had not expected such expenses when she had agreed to become a partner in this venture.

But then, they reached Minas Anor with their little flotilla and Mithadan spent a day at the docks dealing with various merchants and shipowners. He returned with a sly smile and a bag which he had emptied on the table of the galley. Bird's eyes grew wide at the sight of such a pile of gold coins; the proceeds from the sale of the three ships Mithadan had obtained in exchange for the Numenorean daggers. Then they were on their way again, and Mithadan was content to relax and play first mate to Piosenniel's captain.

Once they reached the Bay, the Lonely Star and the Elven ships would make for the open ocean. Pio would board one of the Swan ships with all the crew from the Star who were going back to Meneltarma. Only Bird, Mithadan, and Levanto would remain with the Star. She would link the Swan ships and take them back to the time they had left the islet.

All the Elven ships would wait then, as she transferred back with Kali and Daisy in a skiff to the Star’s present time in the Third Age. The two Hobbrim and the remaining crew of the Star would transfer on the ship to the Fourth Age. Then Kali and Daisy would make the final leap in their skiff to when the Swan ships awaited them. The Elves would drop all the Hobbrim at Meneltarma, and then make for Tol Eressëa. The time crystal would pass into safekeeping with Kali and his future family.

The transfers were done without a hitch, though not without a few final tears and hugs as the crew of the Lonely Star said a final farewell to their companions. They waved to Kali and Daisy, as for a final time, the air shimmered, and the skiff winked out of existence.

Time’s door had shut. Only the glassy, rolling waves of the sea now rolled on before the Lonely Star . . .

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]