View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 04:55 AM   #442
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘So, Tulë has come to say farewell.’ Ancalimon sat at his ease on the helm deck with two other of his fellow travellers who would soon be accompanying him on the journey West with the returning Teleri. He watched as Pio came up the stairs, smiling a greeting at him as well as at Khelek and Veritas. Khelek poured a glass of sweet red wine for her, watering it to cut its strength, and handed it to her as she pulled a small crate near them and sat down.

Pio took a small drink of her wine before she spoke. ‘Yes, farewell to you, Ancalimon, especially, since I have just recently learned from Cami that you will not be accompanying us and the Hobbits to the Anduin. I had not thought you would leave us so soon.’ She looked in her glass as if to collect her thoughts, and ran her finger slowly around the rim of it. Looking up, she spoke directly to him.

‘Sailing back to the Star in the skiff, I thought of many things I wished to say to you before we parted. But all those pretty words I had put together seem meaningless now that we are face to face. You were the one to push me to return to my companions on the Star. You said they had need of me. And when I wished only to return as Tulë you said nothing to dissuade me, knowing even then that it was not my knowledge that was required but my self. I thank you for that, and for all the help you have given my companions.’ She raised her glass to him and took another drink. ‘I would hope someday that we might meet again, though I fear that may not be.’

His eyes twinkled as he raised his glass to her. ‘You know my standard answer to that sort of question, Pio.’ Her brow furrowed slightly at this comment and then she burst out laughing. ‘Indeed! No one can see all ends.’

The late afternoon passed pleasantly, Veritas and Khelek asking many questions of her and Ancalimon concerning what they would find in Valinor. And, in turn, the two answered them as they could. She spoke at length with each of them, thanking them for their friendship and their good companionship on this voyage, and wished for each to find the peace and fulfillment they sought.

Mithadan had come on board, returning from a few errands he had set for himself. He sat with them, talking, laughing, and drinking wine until the sun had almost disappeared beneath the rim of the world. The others excused themselves to finish their preparations for tomorrow’s departure, leaving the Elf and Man alone on the deck. For a long while, they stood at the railing, their shoulders just touching, watching the sun set and the stars wink into existence one by one.

Pio took him by the hand, and pulled him down the stairs to the main deck and toward the galley. ‘Let’s get some food and wine and a couple of blankets, Mithadan. Tonight will be our last night here, come spend it with me on the island. We can mark the patterns of the stars, and put away our cares for the while.’

He arched his eyebrows at her suggestion and then grinning broadly said, ‘I’ll get the food and drink, you get the blankets. Meet you in the skiff . . .’

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]