View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 01:46 PM   #398
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘You kill me, Bird! You know that, do you not!’

Bird frowned at the now laughing Elf. ‘What is so funny about my plan?’ She turned round on the rail and nudged Pio, none too gently, with her foot. Pio leaned on the railing, stifling her laughter, and sighed deeply. ‘We have just come through a long, and I might add ‘successful’, quest to find Kali’s heritage and the missing pieces to Hobbit history. You were there when we researched it, ferreted out clues, put a plan in place. We did not go haring off after it.’

She looked out over the calm sea, collecting her thoughts before she went on. Bird was not one for long hours spent among dusty parchments searching for answers, nor was she one to draw up lists and plot courses on maps. Pio worried that her friend would find nothing but the ongoing frustration she had always had about the gaping holes in her self history. She worried even more that Bird would do something truly rash, and she would never see her again.

Pio chewed on her bottom lip, thinking, and looked down at the deck as if the answers were written there somehow. ‘If she starts rubbing the back of her neck, I’m out of here.’ thought Bird to herself, as she watched the Elf, noting how her brow furrowed, and her eyes narrowed in concentration, a certain gleam having come into them.

‘I have the vague glimmerings of a plan, my friend.’ Pio looked up and massaged the back of her neck, with her left hand. Her right arm shot out and held Bird in place.

I heard you! Do not go until you have heard me out.

Pio spoke seriously to her friend, detailing how they might split up the research for Bird’s quest. Pio would do the groundwork search for clues in the large library in Minas Anor, and in whatever ports she and Mithadan might put into on their trading voyages. Bird would do the actual footwork, traveling to the Southern and Eastern lands. They would draw up a map together of what they knew of these lands for Bird to make notes on concerning places and clues she had found.

Bird would, of course, be visiting Pio and Mithadan on a somewhat regular basis – to see her old friends and to collect the monies coming to her from their use of the Lonely Star for trading voyages. It was then that Bird and Pio would exchange the information they had gleaned from their researches.

Bird’s eyes had glazed over by the end of Pio’s plan, though she had fixed on the facts she need not do any text research and that there would be a somewhat regular source of money coming in to her.

Pio smiled at her, and punched her lightly on the arm to draw her attention. ‘So, what do you think of that plan, my friend? Any comments?’ She leaned on the rail and looked out to sea. ‘Of course you do understand, that being a plan of mine, it is subject to instant revision should the need arise.'

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]