View Single Post
Old 11-11-2002, 02:54 PM   #388
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

That afternoon, Rose and Cami had returned to the Star to begin gathering up their belongings. As they started to sift through the piles scattered about on the shelves and table, Cami found she was picking up things and putting them down again, stopping every few moments to reflect and recall as she poured intently over each item. Every little souvernir brought gentle smiles and memories, as she and Rose drew out the story again, recalling the little things along the way that had brought great hardship and small victories. Most of all there was the pull of the people that lay behind these treasures. It was becoming harder to tug away.

"Do you think we're doing the right thing, going back with the hobbits?" Rose's voice hesitated, as her finger traced over the outline of the great conch shell she'd found on the beach when they'd first found Kali. "We could stay here on the Star, with Mithadan and Pio."

"Yes, we could," Cami murmurred. "Or you could, if you feel that's best. I've thought a long time about this, and I want to go back to live with other hobbits. I've been away so long, too long." Cami's mind ranged over her years in Minas Anor when she'd helped care for the children of the big folk. Good, decent people, but she had missed so many things, things that other hobbits took for granted. "I feel I've come a long way, and I can't stop now. Plus nothing would be the same. Kali and Daisy will be gone, and I expect Bird as well."

Rose looked over at her friend who was staring out the small porthole seemingly lost in reflection, and interrupted with a question of her own, "Do you think things will sort out alright for the hobbits?" Rose's voice held sure and steady, but behind her words lay another hidden question. Will this be the right thing for me, for us, if we sail to the Anduin?

Cami thought a long time before she responded. "Yes, I believe so. I really do. I keep remembering Lilly and Pongo and Esta and all the others who didn't make it. There has to be some meaning to that, something we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again."

"The hobbrim on Meneltarma will be safe. They'll just need patience and loyalty to endure for so long."

Rose nervously interrupted. "But what about the Anduin? What will that be like?"

"That's different," Cami laughed. "We'll have to be tough and crafty to live in a land where most folk are so much bigger. But our people have survived under worse conditions than the Anduin. I don't think we should be afraid to go because we're afraid what might happen."

"And, Rose," she looked the girl straight in the eye, "you and I do have an advantage. We know it can be done. Even if some of our memories slip away, we'll still have that certainty underneath. All the hobbits are going to need some of that pig-headed stubborness."

Rose turned her face up and grinned, "That sounds like me! I've got plenty of stubborness!"

"You certainly do!," Cami poked Rose in the ribs and began tickling her.

A few minutes later they were both sitting and laughing, their spirits pulled higher than they'd been before. Then the girl asked a question that had been bothering her for a while, "Cami, what will happen to Gamba and the boys? And to Azraph and Phura? I really like them. Are they staying here or coming with us?"

"I don't know. We'll have to see. But, Rose, would you like that? If they did come, I mean?"

Rose responded instantly, "Well, if you need pig-headed people, then Gamba should be perfect. That is, once his heart stops hurting so much. And also that little one, the toddler Maura, who kept running after Bird."

Cami smiled, "I expect you're right. But, for now, we'll have to wait and be patient. Rose, there's one more thing. I should have said this before, but my mind was on the rescue, and I was sorting out other things in my head."

Cami reached over and took Rose's hand, "I know there's going to be a lot of hard work to do. Healing and teaching and passing on what little book lore we have, not to mention surviving. The clans will probably split up and go in a dozen different directions. We'll need to try and train others to help us so that each group will have someone who can heal and teach, even if it's on a very basic level."

"But, Rose, it's your help I need the most. Whatever I know, I need to pass it on to you. And I'd like to start now. Will you come when Andril and I visit the sick hobbits on the ships, so you can begin learning some of these things? I can see how much you've grown since we left Minas Anor. I'm proud of you. And I'd like you to start helping with this."

Rose flashed a warm smile, and hugged Cami, "Yes, yes, yes! she chanted. "I'll do the best, the very best I can." Then she turned quickly about and ran to find Daisy so she could share this latest news with her.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]