View Single Post
Old 11-10-2002, 04:18 AM   #386
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio sat on a low, rocky promontory looking eastward over the sea. She supposed that was now where life would carry her after the ships had taken the Hobbits to their destination along the Anduin. It was an interestingly uncomfortable feeling that accompanied these musings. Her mind turned it over and over, attempting some resolve.

She had been independent and a wanderer all her adult years. Now she faced the prospect of a more settled life with one person and the family they would soon share. Her other companions would not be there with her. Cami, Rose, and Daisy were soon to be left behind in other places and other times. Veritas and Khelek had requested she speak with Idril and the Teleri about taking them to Aman when the Elven ships departed.

Bird, whose wanderlust had always matched her own, would soon be off to seek new ventures. Her promises of visits to Lond Lefnui came from her generous heart, and Pio knew Bird would see them frequently for a while, then less and less as new places called her. She was already missing her.

And then, there was Angara, and her announcement to Pio the night of the memorial. She had mixed feelings about leaving her new surrogate family, the Hobbrim. She had decided that somehow she would stay with them, and was seeking a way to do so. ‘Perhaps I should think about staying here, too.’ Pio thought to herself. ‘It would be a place I could be of some use.’ But there was Mithadan to consider, and she could not see him content to stay.

She picked up a number of large pebbles from the scree beside her and stood up, her mind shaking off the spiral of bleak thoughts. She walked to the very lip of the promontory. One after the other, she drew her arm back and threw each stone in a long high arc out over the water below, watching them descend swiftly and splash down to disappear beneath the surf.

The last one had just hit the water’s surface when she heard the shuffling of feet and a familiar voice behind her. She turned, a questioning look on her face. It was Daisy. The young girl’s face mirrored the same feelings as her own just short minutes ago. Pio sat back down on the rocky surface, inviting the hobbit to do the same. She pulled her close, her arm round the girl’s shoulders, and bid her speak her mind.

Daisy had been at the gathering when Ancalimon spoke of The Choosing. Now she was torn about what she would do. She dearly loved Cami and Rose, and part of her wanted to go with them, back to the familiarity of Middle-earth. Her arms went round Pio’s waist, hugging her fiercely, and she buried her head against the Elf’s shoulder. ‘I do not want to leave you either.’ she said sniffling quietly. Pio put the fingers of one hand beneath the young girl’s chin and turned her face up to hers.

‘And . . . ?!’ she prompted, knowing there was something closer to Daisy’s heart that she had not yet revealed.

‘Kali,’ came Daisy’s soft reply, ‘I cannot imagine a life without him in it.’

Pio smiled at this, and held the girl’s gaze. ‘You would like me to give you some Elven wisdom on this, to take away the burden of it, to make the choice for you. I see this hope spring even now into your face. I cannot. This must be your decision alone. Something which will fit your sense of who you are and who you might become if given the opportunity.’ Daisy frowned at these words, not hearing the easy answer that she wanted.

‘I do know this, little one.’ continued the Elf. ‘Love you, as all of us do, you cannot make your decision based on that. Should you do that, you will at some time be trapped by that love and it will not be enough to see you through. This choosing must be solely from you and for you. A gift, if you will, for yourself alone.’

Pio stood up and helped Daisy to her feet. She picked up two hands full of rocks, giving one of them to the Hobbit. ‘Here.’ she said, ‘Consider each of these a reason for choosing a certain path. Think calmly on each then throw it as hard and far as you can. Let them be a focus for your thoughts and feelings.

It took a long time to throw all the stones. Some sailed far out over the blue waters and some flew only a short distance to land on the hillside and go skittering down the slope. They spoke little, and when Daisy shared her thoughts on one choice or another, Pio gently turned the questions back upon her, letting her confirm for herself, the conclusions she had come to.

They were down to their last two rocks. Pio sailed hers hers high and hard out to the waiting waves, watching it fall from its course to plummet into the water. She brushed the dirt off her hands, using the legs of her breeches, and stood hands on hips, waiting for Daisy to cast hers toward the far horizon. ‘Your turn.’ she said to the girl. Daisy stood rooted to the ground, her stone clenched tightly in her hand. Laughter bubbled from her as she turned toward Pio.

‘I do not need to throw this one!’ She took Pio’s right hand and placed the stone in the center of her palm, closing the Elf’s fingers over it. ‘I have made my choice.’

Pio kissed her forehead, and hugged her. She watched as the Hobbit ran down toward the center of the island, looking for Kali and for the others, to share what she had decided. The Elf picked up her discarded cloak and shaking the dust from it, threw it round her shoulders. She headed back to the Star to find food and company.