View Single Post
Old 10-03-2002, 03:03 AM   #111
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She had feigned sleep. Something troubled him and she left him to the privacy of his thoughts. Her eyes followed him as he left the room, and she recalled the words he had spoken earlier. For all the tenderness that had followed them, still they troubled her.

'WHAT KNOW YOU OF THE RISKS!'he had shouted, in frustration and in anger. And she had not answered him, then.

Now she put on her clothes, drew her cloak about her, and climbed quickly up the stairs. Cami passed her on the steps, going down to her room, lost in thoughts of her own.

Pio found him sitting at the stern railing. Dark thoughts moved across the features of his face. He paid no heed to her approach. She had brought his cloak and now put it about his shoulders. Then kneeling at his side, she took his cold hands in hers. Her face, grave, looked up at his.

'I have been selfish, Mithadan. And for that I am sorry. Your concern should be, and rightly so, with the task we are meant to accomplish. The fate of Middle Earth turns on this, as do the lives of all those who dwell or will come to dwell in it. You carry a heavy burden as the day draws near for the rescue. The greater needs of the crew, of those we are meant to rescue, the needs of the task, itself, necessary to accomplish it - these all weigh heavily on you. I would share that burden with you, if you would have it so. But if you cannot, then I will not add to it. Let me know what it is you need for me to do. Or barring that, let me remove my self as a cause for your concern. I will stay on the Star, far from risk, as you wish. I am certain, with you in the lead ship, we can forge the link from there. We will be safe, Mithadan. And when the task is done, you will come to us.'

She stood and kissed him lightly on the brow. Then turned, and made to go below to begin the new day.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]