View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 02:11 AM   #107
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Man was adamant, the Elf insistent.

'We are not done discussing this, Mithadan!' she said quietly, picking at her dinner in an irritated fashion. 'I cannot understand how you might think I will not be completely safe. Angara will be at my side; I will wear my mithril shirt and helm; I will even stay on the ship if you insist. You can take the lead if you wish. But I have thought about this - I need to be there, on that ship, to make the transfer link work.'

He sat there, considering his next line of argument, when Khelek poked his head through the galley door.

'Sorry to interrupt!' he said, looking at the hard set faces which now turned toward him. 'But, Pio, Levanto is asking for you. He said you would have some instructions for him . . . before he left?!'

The Elf took a deep breath to clear her mind, then stood to go. Mithadan pushed his dinner from him and got up, also. 'We can finish this later.' he said. 'I'll wait for you in our cabin. In the meantime I'll look at the ship assignments and see what other arrangements we might make.' He strode off in a determined manner.

She shook her head as she watched him go. 'OTHER arrangements?!. . . WE might make?!' she muttered to herself, as she followed Khelek up to the deck.

Levanto awaited her by the moored skiff. He could tell she was irritated. But the way her eyes snapped when he greeted her, made him hesitate to ask why. Instead he asked her what the general plan was, who was going, and instructions for the hobbits in the caverns on what was needed from them to make Daisy's mission work. He was glad that Bird would be close at hand for her. He questioned Pio closely on a few points to make sure he had understood them. A silence fell between them once she had answered his last question, and he looked at her, hoping somehow to draw her out concerning what troubled her. But she remained silent on it, and he took his leave of her, saying he would be back late the next day, before sunset. She waved at him as he swam off, her mind far away from his departure.

The moon had moved almost half way across the night sky by the time Pio had thought through all her arguments. She had remained sitting in the skiff since Levanto left, and now she rose and climbed back onto the Star.

She made her way quickly to the cabin and went in. Mithadan lay asleep on the bed, one arm tucked behind his head, as if he had just lain back for a moment to rest briefly. She sat cross-legged on the bed beside him, and watched the slow, light rhythm of his breathing. Pio put her hand gently on his chest and roused him from his sleep.

'Mithadan!' she called, quietly. 'It is "later" now, and I have come to finish our discussion.'

She waited . . .

[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]