View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 01:46 PM   #96
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She left the Man to the mercy of the water, and turned back to Levanto. 'I did not hear what you said of patrols. Will you tell it once again?' He told her then of what the dolphins had seen and how he had encountered a black bannered ship docked upriver.

'Were you able to visit the caverns to see if the guard patrols there had increased in any way?'

'No,' he said, 'It was too light still, and I dared not look about too much or make contact with the hobbits, for fear I might be seen.'

She sat in thought for a few moments. 'I . . . that is, we,' she looked at Mithadan, who had made his way back into the skiff, 'need to have that information. Would you do that for us? Rest tonight, and then make your way to speak with the hobbits?.

'Your wish is my command, sweet Lady!' He ducked as Mithadan chucked a strand of kelp at him. 'I'm well rested and will leave now. By tomorrow this time, I should have something to tell you.' 'Don't go as yet, Levanto.' she rejoined. 'I need to speak with Cami before you do. We may have something specific you need to relay to the hobbits.'

She stood, eyeing the sodden man, and threw her cloak about him. 'Come soon, and change those wet clothes! We cannot have a lame and coughing captain lead us in our mission. I fear it would strike no fear into our foe. Unless you mean for them to laugh themselves to death at the sight of you!' She squeezed his hand and smiled at him. 'I'm going up now to find Cami. There is a plan, I think, which may help us know what we stand against.' She grabbed for the ladder and started up the rungs.

'That plan . . . are you thinking of sharing it with me . . . before you put it into action?!' called Mithadan to her retreating figure. She made no answer, as she disappeared over the railing.

'Must not have heard you.' offered Levanto. He looked at Mithadan and grinned, shaking his head. 'Now that I think on it, Mithadan. I wonder that I should have ever thought of envying you.'

'And why is that?' asked Mithadan, standing to go aboard.

'It is one thing to love a creature so lovely and spirited from afar. And quite another to live with her!'

'Indeed!' said Mithadan, sighing. 'You have the right of it on that one!'

The clear voice of the Elf came down to them. 'I did hear you! Now come up and we will speak of it.'

The Mer-man and the man grinned at each other, like two boys caught in some guilty act. Laughing, Levanto dove beneath the waters to wait for instructions. Mithadan, dripping still, clambered aboard the Star.

While Mithadan changed, Pio searched for Cami. She had a vague idea for a plan that she wanted to discuss with her. It would involve one of the hobbits, and she wanted Cami's ideas on who might be well suited to it.

She found her on deck. Cami had been looking to speak with Mithadan about a plan of her own.

'Let's go up to the bow, where we might have some privacy.' said the Elf, taking her friend's arm. 'I'd like to hear of this plan of yours as mine is only half-formed if that, at the moment. My concern, though, is that we be able to get more information about what is going on in the prison. I fear that the guard may have been increased and suspicions aroused somehow.' They leaned against the railing and looked out toward the coast of Númenor. Pio told Cami all of what Levanto had said. The concern on the hobbit's face mirrored her own.

[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]