View Single Post
Old 06-16-2002, 02:12 AM   #289
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The sea was unnaturally still. The gentle waves rolled up against the side of the ship and broke against it like puffs of thin smoke. Bird and Pio stared over the rail at the place where Rose had entered the water. The surface was innocent of any disruption. The water had swallowed her up and it was as if she had never been.

Pio could see that Bird was considering going in after her again. She laid a hand on her arm to catch her attention. 'Let her go, Bird.,' she said gently. 'She has her own doom to master or be mastered by.'

Bird gripped the handrail tightly and then let go. Her hands fell to her sides, and she rubbed her hands lightly on her thighs breathing deeply. 'What shall we do?'

'I''ve found maps of the region in Mith's quarters,' said Pio, 'though they are vague at best as we head farther south and east. I want to speak with Tuor about how we should proceed; and I want you to tell him of your conversation with Ulmo. Perhaps if we put our heads together we can figure out how to do this "surrender" ploy and make it turn to our advantage. I was considering that if we tempted them with a "hostage" as bait, it might be easier to get them here. My problem is that I really know nothing of their capabilities, or how we might counter them.'

'Should we bring the others into this planning process?' questioned Bird. '& what about Idril, you seem to have left her off your consult list?'

As if stormclouds had suddenly obscured the sun, Pio's grey eyes darkened. 'Yes, the others need be there, too. One of them must be the "hostage", the willing sacrifice, if it should come to that.' '& as for Lady Idril,' she measured out her words in even tones, 'it would be best if another companion consult with her.'

'What's up with that elf?', wondered Bird, watching Pio as she returned to the cat to retrieve her maps. Her glance strayed to the upper balustrade, where Idril stood next to Tuor their fingers entwined. He was smiling gently at his Lady, but her attention was fixed on the small figure retreating across the gangway and seemed sorrowful.