View Single Post
Old 06-16-2002, 12:34 AM   #288
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child was sitting at her desk reading the copy of the Silmarillion which her cousin Frodo had so kindly given to her. She was half asleep and half awake, studying famous voyages and battles which had taken place on the Sea. Angara lay curled at her feet.

Like Birdie, Child also felt sad when she looked at Tuor and Idril. But her sadness was not in seeing the two eternal lovers so obviously enraptured with each other. She did not begrudge them that happiness. For, in that realm, Child had her own sweet memories.

Instead, she thought what would happen at the end of battle. For these two would be allowed to sail back to Elvenhome, those distant green shores with beaches of white sand and pure light. And, although she would never say it to Idril's face, she knew that Tuor, like Child, had been a mere mortal. Sometimes, things just didn't seem fair.

She, instead, would be getting back to reality--lots of mailbags to deliver, hungry mouths to feed, a hobbit house that was a bit small for too many little hands and feet. It was a great honor to be the widow of one who had stood up to fight and die in the Scouring so many years before; his name was even inscribed on the Shire rolls.

But Child had found herself after death residing with her children in the Barrow-downs, and she still had no idea where her dear husband had gone to after his demise. Perhaps, if she could go back to Aman, she could beg an answer from one of the Valar. But this seemed highly unlikely. Chubby, three foot hobbit matrons did not get to make voyages to the Undying lands. Only Bilbo, and Frodo, and Sam had done that, and they did not realize how lucky they were!

They might lose, it is true, but Child refused to think of that. Indeed, if they lost, the ones she most worried about were Samwise and Frodo. She was very glad Bilbo had chosen not to come on this trip!

These blue wizards weren't stupid. Surely they knew the tales of the Ringbearers, and what they had done. They would just love to get their evil talons back into those who had done so very much to defeat the Shadow.
The names Rose and Bird and Pio were probably nothing to them, but Sam and Frodo were another story.

Child knew there was nothing she could do to help Rose or Mith, but perhaps she could do something for Sam and Frodo. Child now remembered what Idril had said, that she wanted to speak with them. At first Child thought that had only been a matter of courtesy. Now, she was not sure. For she had noticed a very strange look in the eyes of the Elven lady.

She truly wished Sam and Frodo would go to her, or at least write her a letter, since that proud Elf was unlikely to go banging on their cabin doors. So Child decided she might have to be the one banging on doors. She wrote out the following note, and on the outside of the envelope wrote: Miss Stacey, Personal and Confidential----

Dear Miss Stacey,

Please do not let Samwise and Frodo see this. I am relying on your disgression.

We are going to battle the blue wizards, which may be a thing of much peril. I am quite certain, both from my study of ancient lore and some things which the Lady Idril intimated to me, that Samwise and Frodo are in particular danger in this undertaking. The Blue Wizards would love to have two heads of the Ringbearers to display on their palace gates. Excuse me, Miss Stacey, but I have to speak the truth.....

I believe that the Lady Idril may have something which would be of aid to Sam and Frodo. Is there any way that you could get one of them to pay a visit to her cabin? If not that, if they are too shy, at least have them write to her for aid and advice. Miss Idril has powers just as great as the Elf Galadriel, and I feel in my heart that she could help protect them.

Again, I rely on your secrecy in this endeavor. Your dear hobbit friend, Sharon Goodchilde, aka Child

Child went down and tacked up this note on the outside of Samwise's door.