View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 02:08 PM   #767
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio returned to her own cabin. She nodded briefly at Child, who stood knocking on the door to Mithadan's cabin.

'Let her deal with him first.' she thought to herself. 'Let her be the one to prick his darkling thoughts and allow them to be aired and dealt with in a clearer light.' She wished the brave hobbit well.

She entered her cabin, and threw the books and papers from her desk chair. Once seated, her feet propped on the charts on her desk, she took the bottle of wine from the bottom drawer and poured herself a large glass. She was in a strange mood herself, and sought to ease her mind before taking any action.

The fall of Gondolin was not the same as the fall of Númenor, she mused to herself. Unless, that is, one considered the insular mind set of Turgon to have played a large part in it. She preferred to think of it in a less judgmental way - that the elves had been overcome by an overwhelming force of evil, against whose advances there was no recourse. Elenna,Númenor, on the other hand, was a different story. Or was it? Had men really brought all this on themselves, or had they been the unknowing players in another poor attempt by the Valar to be 'nice'. What an interesting set up she thought - give long life with one hand and a land which looks toward the land of Immortality with the other, and then forbid the gifted the possibility of ever setting foot in that Immortal Realm. On the other hand, those were the rules within which the Edain played and they had chosen to ignore them. No wonder Mithadan was in such a foul mood.

She had come to the end of her glass, and poured herself another one. Just half this time, and watered. She needed to think clearly. Mithadan's dark mood must be dealt with in some way. The crew would not function well as a unit for the rescue if one of the key leaders were lost in the deeps of anguish. And what were all the sources for this anger and anguish? She could not see them clearly, but felt they went beyond the failure of the Edain to keep the faith. She only knew there seemed to be a tense feeling between them now, where once there was an easy comradery. She missed that, and did not understand why he pulled away, keeping himself guarded.

The Telerin ships would not arrive soon, which bought her some time to figure out a way to offer her assistance, to shoulder what burden she could to make his lighter.

She sighed, and rearranged herself more comfortably on the chair. 'I can't think about this right now.' she said to the empty room. 'My thoughts are too muddled. There is no light that shines through on anything!'

Frustrated, she took another sip of wine, and took up a clean sheet of vellum on which to distract herself with sketching.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]