View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 01:14 PM   #680
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As the two women sat quietly eating, one of the big folk came barrelling towards their table. The fellow was loud and boisterous and must have consumed an infinite number of pints. Breath reeking and eyes wide, he latched onto Rose, gripping her by the shoulder and commenting disparagingly on her size. Then he cajoled her with a string of impertinent questions. Not one of the customers sitting at the bar made any effort to intervene.

For one terrible instant, Child feared the scene was about to deteriorate into a battle of words or even worse. But, just as Rose struggled to free herslf, she found assistance from an unlikely source. A kindly man, with broad shoulders and strong arms, came over. He forcibly removed the offending hand from her shoulder and retorted. "Be gone, Hugo. They're visitors at the Inn, and they've done you no harm."

"Since when do we let in the likes of them?" the voice growled in return.

"Since I'm the proprietor. And I say they're in and you're out!" The offending party was dumped out onto the steps of the Inn.

The man shook his head and wiped his hands on his work apron, then came in to see if the women were alright. "I'm sorry. Folks around here just aren't used to seeing the likes of you. I know things are changing, but we're a bit far north and people are isolated here."

Child nodded in understanding and quickly explained the purpose of their errand and their needs. The two bargained a bit and agreed on an overall price. Then the owner of the Inn promised to contact the suppliers and have the materials taken down to their skiff first thing in the morning. Child thanked him for his help, and excused herself and Rose to retire to their room. The older hobbit carefully locked the door once they were inside.

The minute the door was closed, Rose burst forth with indignation. Frustrated and angry, she turned to Child and demanded, "You've lived outside the Shire for a good piece of your adult life. How often did you face this? What have we done to deserve this?"

"Rose, calm down. Most folk aren't like that man. When I lived among the big folk, many were curious. I was different, and they often didn't know what to make of me. I've faced raised eyebrows and puzzled looks, but not too many bullies like that one. He's a prize, I must say!"

Rose began ripping things out of her pack and throwing them onto the bed. Then she interrupted Child. "I don't know how you stood it. I don't think I could. I can see why we prohibit men from coming into the Shire. They look different to me too, but at least I don't bully them! I wish they'd all go away."

"It's not that simple." Child sighed. You don't feel that way about Mithadan or most of the men you met in Minas Tirith. The Star has lots of different folk, and we all manage to get along."

"That's different," came the stubborn response.

"No, it's not different. Every group has the good ones and the bad ones. You can't tell me there are no bad apples among our own kin."

"Maybe so," Rose conceded. "But I still wouldn't want to live in a household of big folk the way you did. Wasn't it hard living away from your people so long and having to deal with all those strange looks? Didn't you want to live where you could be yourself and not have to answer all those questions?"

Child sat for a moment and said nothing. For the girl had unknowingly hit on a very soft spot. Then, she replied. "For a long time, I just wanted to see and experience something different, to get away from people I knew too well. But, after Beleriand and after Maura, I thought a lot about what I've missed over the years. And now I'm not sure any more."

"Anyways, there's at least the two of us here together, and we'd best get to sleep, if we want to leave early in the morning." She said goodnight to Rose. They she lay awake a long time, trying to figure out things in her head.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]