View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 05:39 PM   #663
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child was buzzing about the deck of the ship trying to find Bird and the hobbits. The first one she ran into was Rose. She asked her to run and collect everyone and to meet down in the galley.

Within a few minutes, Rose came trooping in. Trailing behind her were Daisy, Bird, and Kali. Child lined everyone up and stood to make an announcement.

At that instant Daisy whispered to Rose, "I can see she used to be a teacher." Rose nodded and giggled. Then Child gave them a sharp look back.

"We have a job to do," Child said sternly to her companions. "I spoke with Tule last night about a number of things." At this point, several eyebrows lifted in the room. "Before I left, we talked about how we needed to start preparing the Star to take on as many as fifty hobbits or hobbrim in a very short time. Even if they're only on the ship one or two days, they're going to need food, blankets, and maybe even medical care. Plus, we will be returning to Meneltarma after that. And again, all our hobbits will need to be taken care of for the day or two that we're there."

Kali asked what kind of shape the hobbits might be in, since they were being rescued from a prison. And Child had to admit she didn't know, but that some of them could be sick and hungry.

Then she added, "I've already begun to go through the galley and storerooms, and we aren't going to have enough supplies, unless you folk swim and row out into the seas and start foraging for foodstuffs, healing herbs, and other useful things. Thanks to Rose," and here Child nodded towards the girl, "we do have plenty of kingsfoil, but there are many more provisions we need. You need to use your imaginations. Anything you can come up with will be put to good use."

At that point, Bird suggested that Levanto might be able to help. Soon the hobbits and the shapechanger were exchanging suggestons about how they might gather some of these supplies. Child told the group she would organize everything on board once they brought the things to her.

In the middle of this confusion, Kali turned around and looked at Bird, with a decided gleem in his eye, "They're coming, they're really coming. All these plans and maps and headaches that the Elf and the Man are doing. They mean something. They mean my family is coming home." Kali looked happier than he had looked in days.

Child nodded and smiled. "Now, get going, and I don't want to hear any more moaning or complaining. You've each got a job to do!"

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]