View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 01:45 AM   #657
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

He regarded her intently. The depth of her understanding made him choose his words with care. 'You are frightened, Child, and rightly so. Shadow rises once again and strives to swallow Light. And so it will ever be until the Doors of Night are thrown open and the final battle fought, as I have heard.'

He gazed out across the sea to the West. 'And yet, there is always the seed of hope that blooms even in the bitterest of Springs.' He returned his gaze to her, regarding her closely. 'Did you not look in the mirror, Child? Did you not see the face of hope? Did you not see the face of your loremaster, your singer, your people looking back at you?' He paused, and then went on, almost as if to himself. 'And beyond hope is the doing of all the actions, great and small, which brings life to hope.' He smiled at her, 'And that is where things stand for now, for me - I have come to do what I can to help you do what you need.'

He laughed a little at his words. 'Bye the One, that was too ponderous even for an elf! Come, sit and share one more cup of wine with me, and I promise to answer your questions more directly!'

They sat in silence for a while, sipping their wine, and watched the moonlight ripple on the wave crests.

He spoke again. 'Ancalimon did not choose me. I was chosen for him. By the Lady who dwells west of the West.' A spark of recognition gleamed in the hobbit's eyes. 'You know her, also, I see. She has a great love for your people as does Ancalimon. They have taught me much about you, though from the first your people have had a special place in my heart.'

'I have had many dealings with hobbits, throughout my life. I know the name, Lindo, a hobbit very kind to children, as I remember, but I do not recall Maura Tuk, I am sorry to say. And yes, I know of Tol Fuin, but I never journeyed there.'

He took a small drink of wine, and set the cup down carefully on the low table between them. 'Your first question is the hardest to answer. "Why do I want to do this thing?".' He ran his hand through his hair and considered his answer.

'Because it needs to be done. Because I can. Because your people are Arda's hope and the last defense against Darkness.'

'Because you are my hope.'

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]