View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002, 08:25 PM   #654
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Look what I've found!' came the excited voice of the elf from behind a stack of barrels in the hold. Daisy came running over to him. She had been poking about in the ship's larder with Tulė and wanted to show off her finds as well.

'I've found a tin of flour and one of sugar, and here's a small jar with cinnamon, and a packet of nutmegs.' said Daisy, proudly displaying her treasures.

'Excellent sleuthing, Daisy. Those are just what we need to turn these into something delectable.' Tulė held up a small cask filled with layers of honey-scented dried apples, and another smaller one of rich, dark dried currants. 'Let's find us a bit of butter and go up to the galley.'

The pair made their way to the galley and peeked inside. Mithadan had left the kettle of stew on a low back burner, and it burbled lazily every once in a while letting off a burst of savory aroma. He had gone off about other business while it simmered.

Daisy stoked the fire for the oven and set enough apples for two generous pies soaking in some warmed water. She helped the elf cut the butter into the flour and roll it out to make the crusts. The apples were plumped by the time they had lined the bottoms of the pie plates with dough, and Tulė poured off the water and added a generous handful or two of currants to the bowl along with some sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, a few gratings of nutmeg, and some flour for thickening. He stirred it thoroughly and divided the mixture between the two pie pans. Daisy placed a few small pieces of butter about the top of the mixture and carefully placed the top crusts on, pricking a star-shaped pattern in each one.

They popped the pies in the oven, cleaned up after themselves, and gave the stew a stir before leaving.

About an hour later, the smell of something wonderful had wafted up on deck.

'What's that?' asked Mithadan, relaxing on the foredeck with the others of the crew. 'Ooh, what did you make that smells so good!?' asked Rose.

Daisy could hardly keep from laughing as Tulė pushed her forward. 'It's your pies for dinner, Mithadan! You'ld better get them out of the oven before they burn and set them out to cool!'

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]