View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002, 04:57 PM   #652
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The sun had shifted and a shadow had worked its way across the space where Tulë sat. He had put away the map, there was no more information he could pick from it for now. Later he would consult with the other elves and Mithadan about the problem of the palantíri locations and when best to call the ships from the West.

Standing up, he stretched his shoulders, sore from this morning's row back to the Star. He looked over the side of the ship at the glassy, inviting sea. The idea of a swim crossed his mind for a brief moment, and then was put aside.

Walking back toward the foredeck, he heard the laughter of Khelek and Veritas followed by a growl from Mithadan. 'Ah! Practicing!' Smiling, he stood and watched them for a moment.

A small touch on his arm stopped him from continuing on toward the three. Child had come up from behind and placed her hand on his arm to draw his attention. He turned, and noted her polite hobbit face was on, though behind her eyes he sensed a multitude of questions and uncertainties waiting to be brought up.

He smiled openly and inclined his head toward her. 'May I call you Child?' he asked, holding her eyes with his own. 'Ancalimon has told me so much of you, I feel as if we have already met.' He waited for her to continue.

'Child will do nicely.' she said, wondering just how he made his eyes do that - turn from a darker grey to a lighter, sparkling shade as if the sunlight were passing through the waves. She shook her head to clear her thoughts. 'I wonder if I could speak with you.' she continued.

He nodded in assent, and motioned her to a nearby chair, drawing one up for himself. When they had settled themselves in comfortably, he urged her on. 'Please, feel free to ask what you need. I know I came on board the Star while you were still in Beleriand. And that there has been little time for us to get to know each other.' He sat back, giving her time to collect her thoughts.

Child tried to think of what she wanted to say first. The thought of 'You can't take Pio's place!' was put aside in favor of a more polite start. 'I really do know nothing about you.' she said. Where are you from? - Númenor? Is that where you met Ancalimon?'

'I have been in Númenor, of late.' said the elf, considering the question seriously, 'but that was at the request of Ancalimon. I was to familiarize myself with the Isle that I might aid you in fulfilling your quest when he could not be there to guide you. I met him and your companions recently in Númenor and took your companions to the place where the hobbits will be imprisoned. Ancalimon returned almost immediately from my first introduction to the crew to see the hobbits in Beleriand once again, I believe.' He sat back, silent for a moment, considering the answers to her other questions.

'And you met Ancalimon there, in Númenor?' she prompted, leaning forward to scrutinize his face as he answered.

'Best to be truthful with this One.' he thought to himself, assessing the spirit of the hobbit before him. 'No, I did not meet him in Númenor, Child. I come from Valinor, and that is where I was asked to aid him.'

Child sat back, taking in his answers and the manner in which he gave them. She leaned forward once more, a question forming in her mind. She was just about to ask it, when Rose and Kali came running to her and tugged her up from the chair.

'Hurry, Child, come quickly! Bird is awake and has heaved up all the stuff in her stomach. Daisy's trying to get her cleaned up, but Bird keeps getting sick. Hurry, Hurry, please!! We need your medicines!'

Child sent them back to help Daisy, telling them she would be along directly. 'I wasn't quite done speaking with you.' she said to the elf, as she made to hurry off. 'This evening if it's convenient, I'd like to continue our conversation." She awaited his answer, hand on hip.

'As you wish, Child. I'll be here. Go on now and take care of Bird.'

He watched her retreating form, then stood and went on his way to the foredeck. The elves had gone, and Mithadan stood leaning on the railing, looking over the sea. He did not hear the elf approach and stop behind him.

Your pardon! came the impish thought to him. But you really do need a bath! You did lose the race back to the ship this morning, if only by a hair. And I do prefer my chef clean!

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]