View Single Post
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 AM   #518
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Pondering Ancalimon's words late into the night, Lindo got little sleep. He lay awake, composing some new lines, a new lullabye and a new song about Niphredil; he also composed two other new lullabyes, for Nitir; one to sing for Pongo, and one to sing for Lily. And he waited for the dawn to come.

When the sky lightened, he woke Azra, and asked her to watch the babies for him again, for a little while. She started to get annoyed, but rather reluctantly agreed when he pleaded gently.

He went to find Kemba, and calling into the rough tunnel, woke him too. Kemba emerged grumpy and uneager, and gazed at Lindo through half-opened eyes.

Lindo started several times and stopped, but finally he composed his question and got it all out. "When you carried Niphredil away from the wall, where did you take her? Where is she resting?"

It was much too early for such thoughts, but Kemba answered. "Back to my burrow. To her own room. I laid her to rest on her own bed. Her mother grieved her there, until all the hobbits were called out under Maura's orders. I believe she lies there still, whether the burrow burned down around her or whether it still stands."

It was enough. Lindo thanked him and turned to leave. Kemba stopped him. "We miss you, Lindo. We know you need to stay with the children, but whenever you are free, you are always welcome at our table."

He meant well. Lindo smiled, and thanked him.

"Lindo, I would have been proud to have you in my household. I would have called you my son."

Again, Lindo knew that Kemba spoke from his heart. But it was too painful to receive, and Lindo awkwardly thanked him and withdrew. He returned to the children, thanked a suprised Azra (who had been expecting another lengthy delay, as over the silly pony the previous evening) and began feeding hungry children.

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]