View Single Post
Old 08-02-2002, 11:52 AM   #394
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio took a deep breath, and then proceeded down the familiar hallway. Her last memories of this home were as it lay in ruin just prior to their escape from the wrath of Melkor.

The house was quiet. No servants busied themselves with early morning duties as yet; but then, as she recalled, Idril and Tuor lived a more simple life than other royal folk, preferring to do much for themselves.

Now she had come to Idril's apartments, where that fair lady liked to spend the early morning hours engaged in organizing her day and the affairs of the house.

The door was ajar, and she heard the scritch of a pen as it marked items on a list.

Pio put her hand to the door as if to enter and heard that familiar greeting, 'Come!'.

Idril was intent on her lists when Pio entered. She glanced up, and then frowning, stood and bade the elf advance no further.

'Who are you?' she asked and circled the still figure. 'You seem familiar, but I cannot place you firmly in my mind.'

'Lady Idril, it is Pio.' came the simple answer.

'What madness is this?' returned Idril, 'You have lived years untold; this I perceive. And you claim to be a child? Surely you jest. But if so, it lacks humour. I saw the little one and her mother just an hour ago, slumbering in their room downstairs. Do you mean to tell me you are she? Do you mean them harm? What trickery is this?'

Pio asked leave to sit, and placed her hands on her thighs, in plain sight. She told a simple story of herself and her companions, and their desire and long journey to rescue the hobbit population in Gondolin from the designs of Melkor. She told Idril of the Eagle's help and their passage through the Secret Way. No mention was made of the soon to be besieged city or the terrible wanderings to be endured by the escapees through the Secret Way. Idril went over the story point by point, considering each one carefully.

'I see,' she said carefully. 'Yet surely you understand that your claim exceeds the bounds of reason. Have you no small proof that you are who you say you are?'

Pio unclasped the fine silver chain that hung about her neck, and pulled out the small pendant from beneath her mithril shirt. She held it in the palm of her hand and offered it to Idril.

'This is Holly's necklace!' said Idril, recognizing the green enamelled silver holly leaf by its fine craftsmanship. 'I see it about her neck every day. How come you by it?'

'When the shadow comes, she will give it me as a token of her and my father, who made it for her. I have promised her I will return one day to let her know I fare well.'

'I see,' she said again. With a slight smile and a steady hand, she handed the necklace back to Pio, who replaced it around her neck and hid it once again beneath her shirt. 'Now where are these companions of yours? I would meet them and judge their character for myself.'

'I will bring them to you.' said Pio, rising and bowing to Idril. 'They are just down the hall.'

She went toward the door, and then thought to ask, 'What day is this, my lady?' The answer chilled her.

'Surely you know this,' she replied sharply. But she again smiled and her face grew calm 'In three days will be the gathering for the observance of the Festival of the Gates of Summer.'

'We must hurry, then.' said Pio and went to fetch her companions.

'I surely will,' replied Idril. She hurried away down the hall.

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]