View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 01:35 PM   #279
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC---here I am at my brother's house in Michigan. He has computer with a strange keyboard so my typing may look weird. Probably won't post again till we get to Toronto Thursday night. My mom doesn't have a computer. Havinga good time. Went on a boat ride on the river and it really went UP and DOWN. Ugh! (Child almost got seasick)

Once Child heard that Daisy had agreed to her idea of cooking a fine meal for Kali, she decided to give her a hand. The one thing Child definitely knew about was cooking meals for very hungry hobbits. She suspected that feasts for hobbrim would not be too different.

She sat down with Rose and Daisy to review the provisions in the galley and to think about something special that Daisy might make. Even Bird, who harbored suspicions about the hobbit girl, agreed to help gather special seafood delcacies which they would need for Kali's feast.

Before long, Child had Bird hunting for the eggs of seabirds nestled in the rocky outcrops which stood along the shallower waters close to the shoreline itself. When the wind died down and the ship stood still, Child begged Pio to drop anchor for a bit and had Rose get in the small dinghy with a net and pole to try her hand at fishing.

Child dragged out several old cookbooks tucked away in the galley, as she and Daisy poured over them. When they couldn't find exactly what they wanted, Child ransacked her memories of family recipes which she had served to her husband for the many years they had shred a home and raised their children.

Finally, they came up with a list of foods which they knew to be Kali's favorites:

Steamed Clams
Devilled seabird eggs
Stuffed Sea Salmon
Seaweed Pie
Fried Searooms

To this they added a number of delicacies which they had secured in the markets of Minas Tirith:

Roast Beef and bread pudding
Saffron Cake
Fine ale

The finest touch was to be a large bowl of fresh fruits which were the very last of their store.

Mithadan came down and put his head through the door at all the noise and activity in the galley.

He laughed, "Even a whole village of hobbits and hobbrim could not finish the piles of food which you are preparing here!"

Child promised that the leftovers would be plentiful enough to feed the entire crew for dinner. But she made Mithadan promise to give Daisy some time to set out her table, and let the two have a quiet meal first.

Finally, after hours of scavenging, cooking, and baking, Daisy's feast was ready. Child sent off Rose to go retrieve Kali and bring him down to the galley.