View Single Post
Old 07-16-2002, 06:36 PM   #216
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Rosie and Child hurriedly left Mithadan's quarters saying nothing to friends who happened to cross their path. They did not look very happy.

Inside, Child was fuming. She did not know whether to be more annoyed at Mithadan or the hobbit girl. "I had nothing to do with Daisy coming on this ship or choosing my cabin as her unofficial headquarters, yet Mithadan talks to me as if I was personally responsible."

Mithadan had been quite angry at Child for not notifying him the moment she had first seen the girl. He had also been unhappy with Daisy's curt and discourteous reply to Kali, news of which had spread over the entire ship, and had told her so in unambiguous terms. Then, he had warned all three that they would shortly be departing for an unknown and dangerous destination, and had best keep their mind on their assigned duties.

Daisy was given a long list of chores, most involving ship maintenance. She was told to report to Piosenniel as soon as possible to begin her apprenticeship. Even Child and Rose were given additional assigned duties. Child was to begin looking at the maps in the library, to see which rivers in Beleriand might be navigable by a boat such as theirs.

Worst of all, in Child's mind, were the new cabin assignments. Since they were no vacant rooms on the ship, and Child had the largest cabin, she was told to make room for Daisy as her new roomate. Mithadan told Khelak to shift a bunk bed into the cabin for the hobbits to share.

Child gritted her teeth as she watched her old comfortable bed rolled out, and an older bunk bed rolled in. Daisy immediately climbed to the top bunk, hung her legs over the edge, and began swinging them in the air directly over Child's head.

Child reminded herself again that Daisy had been through much sorrow in the past year, but she quickly found her patience wearing thin.

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]