View Single Post
Old 07-16-2002, 10:21 AM   #212
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child was amazed that Pio could take Daisy's presence so calmly. She wondered if Mithadan would be so understanding. Child briefly exlained what she had learned of the girl and her background.

Pio laughed and shook her head, "Another adventurer who can't stay put in the Shire or Buckland? Child, you should have some sympathy for that!"

"I do," Child grinned, "Only I can't imagine what Thain Peregrin will say to me when I actually do meet him someday. He'll accuse Rose and I of luring away his best servants."

Pio laughed, "Of all persons, Pippin has little to complain on that score. He did plenty of roaming in his younger years. Even now, he can't bring himself to stay away from Gondor for too long."

Pio contined, "Whatever Mithadan says, there's no question. The girl has to stay. We can't turn back to the River and find our way to Minas Tirith and then make our path down again. That would take an extra two or three days on the water. We simply can't afford it. The girl will have to make her home here with us."

Daisy interrupted and, for the first time, sounded both cheerful and positive, "Miss Pio, I do know something of boats and sails and water. When I was little, my father would take us out on some of the little rivers nearby. Of course, our craft was tiny, compared with this. But I love the Sea, and I know I can learn. And I've worked in the fields of the Shire, so I'm not afraid of hard work. I can be just as good a mariner as Mistress Rose."

It was clear that the Rose had become a model in Daisy's eyes and one whom she wished to copy. Daisy had also scrubbed her face clean, and managed to borrow clothes from Rose whom she had met again while walking through the hallway.

For some time, Kali had been listening to this conversation from the other side of the deck. He looked at her, then looked again. She was actually the first hobbit he had seen who was his own age. After hearing that Daisy loved the Sea and was also an orphan, he was particularly curious about her and wanted to be friendly.

Shyly, he inched over to their group. Daisy looked up, her eyes widening in astonishment. Then she looked over to Child and demanded quite sharply, "Who or what is that?"

In Kali's eyes, Child could see hurt and confusion. She herself was disappointed and furious at Daisy. However parochial they might be, hobbits were known for their polite ways. So it was difficult for Child to understand or forgive an intentionally rude comment such as Daisy had made.

She demanded that the girl apologize immediately. But, judging from the look on Kali's face, Daisy's awkward and grudging words had done little to heal his feelings.
Child then took Daisy by the hand and forcibly led her to the deck below for a serious conversation about the challenges of living on a small ship with Men, Elves, Hobbits, Hobbrim, and even Shapechangers.

[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]