View Single Post
Old 10-11-2003, 01:37 PM   #237
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Zimzi

Derufin’s question had gone unanswered. The young woman that Zimzi had seen through the window of the Inn had come into the Inn, looking for her axe. Derufin’s hand had grasped her arm when she rose to try to speak to the woman, and in a whisper he bade her stay still until Mistress Piosenniel had taken care of it.

Zimzi could scarcely breathe as she watched the tense scene play out. Violence of any sort had been the rare occasion in her life, and she found now that it came near to her, she did not relish the taste or feel of it. Derufin too, was tensed, she noted, but it a different way than she. His left hand was on the table top, ready to boost himself up quickly, his right hand grasped firmly the top rung on the back of his chair. With one movement he could be up on his feet, the chair flying toward the threatening Dwarf.

She watched him take a deep breath as the Dwarf took the axe from Pio. And as Lis relaxed her stance, Derufin relaxed his, his gaze staying on her even as she spoke politely to the Elf.

When the tense situation had abated, and those in the room turned back to their drinks and food, Zimzi returned to the conversation that she had been having with her companion. Derufin turned his back to the room and returned his attention to her as she spoke.

‘I was talking about clay,’ she reminded him, her hands starting their punctuation of her words. On the table top, in a pool of condensation from the ale, she drew a map of a small stream that ran north from Bywater, on the east side of Bindbale Wood. ‘Pio says she is sure she has seen clayey banks along this part of the stream, just above Overhill. She’s promised to take me up there while we’re here.’

Derufin’s brow furrowed. He had obviously missed something in the main body of her previous conversation. He knocked himself mentally and focused his attention on what she was saying.

‘I know that area,' he said, 'though I confess I never noticed clay banks – but then, I wasn’t looking for them, either.’ His eyes lit with a realization that Niniel was here to take care of the horses and there were no odd jobs to be done on his plate at the moment.

‘Would you like to ride up there?’

[ October 11, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]