View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM   #64
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uien turned aside, glancing at Flithaf for a moment. Doderic shifted his weight impatiently. What Falowik said made sense, but that did not make it any easier. She sighed heavily and turned back, inclining her head in reluctant agreement.

"Very well, I will remain and see what aid can be garnered from those here," she said. Doderic rubbed his hands together, pleased that a prolonged debate had been spared. Derufin cleared his throat, the matter of Flithaf's use not entirely put to rest. Uien gave Doderic a long, measuring gaze before she turned to the Stablemaster.

"Falowik will see that Flithaf is returned to you here. I will vouchsafe it," she said quietly. Derufin maintained a rhythmic stroking as he chewed it over mentally. With a sigh he waved his assent on. Uien smiled at that. "My thanks, Derufin," she said gravely. Derufin nodded, continuing his brushing.

Doderic again shifted his weight, clearly eager to be away. Uien paused a little still, murmuring to the charger that stood beside her. He was a mixture of curiosity and restiveness, for Flithaf was not a horse that liked the idleness of stables and day pastures. It was the road and wide plains that he wished before him. Doderic announced that he was going to ready his own mount and leapt to that task.

Flithaf restively shivered and sidestepped as they saw to his tack. He mouthed his bit as though he too were keen to be on his way and had shivered when the saddle blanket had been thrown over his back, tail swishing and ears flicking. Once the charger was saddled, Uien passed Falowik the reins so that he could lead Flithaf from the stables.

She walked along side him and stood beneath a canopy of bright stars. Many things moved through her. When she looked at Falowik, she saw that he was studying her carefully, concerned.

"I think this is best," he started. Uien placed a hand on his arm and Flithaf snorted behind them.

"You are right, Laurëatan. Flithaf will bear you swiftly and safely." Uien paused then, for the urge to lean against him and rest her head on his shoulder was pressing hard upon her. Doderic was bound to be nearby. She managed a smile for Falowik and instead let her fingers lightly brush down the side of his cheek.

"I will seek aid. If I hear no word, I will set out with them to seek the Master of Buckland in two days. It is my hope that I will be able to bring you assistance earlier than that." Uien spoke calmly and with firm resolve as she gazed up at Falowik.

He smiled quietly back at her. The evening breeze lifted her hair. Falowik reached to tame it back from her face, still holding the reins in one hand.

"Thank you, Fair Uien," he murmured and her eyes closed as his fingers passed over one cheek. Uien's eyes opened again knowing that never would she forget the sound of his voice as it shaped her name, nor his touch. Stars hung over his head as lightness surged within her.

"May Elbereth watch over you, Falowik Laurëatan, my love," she dared whisper up to him.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight