View Single Post
Old 09-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #43
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hamson blushed a deep red as he stared at the woman who held her lantern up, the full force of its light in his face. He hadn't counted on being discovered in his hiding place by anyone other than Melilot; indeed, he had not counted on even Melilot finding him. What was worse, he recognized the woman. She was the innkeeper, and no doubt very angry that he had taken the liberty to hide in the stable.

"Oh, ma'am!" he cried, jumping up and attempting to give a bow (something he was not accustomed to, and it came off quite clumsily). "I do apologize for hiding the stable, but I had to get away from Melilot... I believe you've seen her, since you know it's from a hobbit lassie I'm hiding?"

"Yes," was the reply of the innkeeper. "She looked quite upset with you."

"Well, she is," said Hamson, his cool coming back. Brushing some stray pieces of straw from his clothes, he leaned casually against the side of the stall and an expression that could almost be defined as a smirk came to his face. "She is very upset with me. Sometimes she feels like killing me, I'm sure."

"I heard as much."

Hamson was not surprised. Melilot grumbled, but she grumbled so loud that it would sound like she was making a speech. "I'll tell you about it if you like. But first I must introduce myself. I'm Hamson Cotton."

"And you may refer to me as Aman," the innkeeper answered, extending her hand. Hamson took it, uncertain what to do with it, then he bowed clumsily again, blushing immediately after when he realized his new acquaintance?s intention had been a handshake. However, he somewhat kept his composure and exited the stall, pulling a long bit of hay from his hair as he did so.

"Yes, ma'am, I'll tell you about it, but only on one condition..."

"Which is?"

"That you don't stop my battle plans against Mel..ilot. I mean, putting pepper in her tea and everything. If I'm kept from that, she will never be off my heels."

Aman smiled at him. "Providing that you aren't too rough on her," she assented. "She seems a strong, stubborn girl, from what I've seen of her, but everyone has their limit. And as long as you narrow it down to occasional pranks. No killing, for example."

Hamson's eyes widened in innocent horror. "Killing?" he gasped. "She may want to kill me sometimes, but I would never do such a thing to anyone, especially if she's a pretty young lass who, unfortunately, is a relative of mine. No, the very worst I could do, ma'am, would be to call for Shiriffs and have them lock her up for a few years, but that, of course, would not work, for as soon as she saw them she would put on her most innocent expression and they would go away after scolding me soundly.

"But I do marvel that you will let me continue to battle with her. Most people (my parents, namely) would consider it highly ungentle-hobbit like and tell me to stop right away. Why do you let me keep on with the battle?"

"Well, I see no harm in the pranks you pull on her. I've seen brothers and sisters play worse pranks on each other, and I wouldn't deny you and your rival the pleasure of being young. I also see that it is the only way you can make her think a little, now that I reflect on it. Besides, I think the girl rather enjoys it."

Hamson had been gradually growing colder and was now shivering visibly. "Thank you, ma'am, and I'll try to resist from calling in the Shiriffs," he chatted. "But, ma'am, might I go inside now? It's rather cold out here for me, though it might be very warm for the horses, and I'm longing for a cup of tea and a flickering fire to sit by." A new thought came to him and he attempted to laugh between the chatters of his teeth. "Anyway, I think I should try to calm Melilot down before she burns down the inn trying to get at me."