View Single Post
Old 07-04-2003, 10:03 PM   #35
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Dryea was on her third course--thinly sliced lamb wrapped in lettuce and marinated in a tangy sauce--over finely roasted potatoes when Elena joined her at the table with her wine.

“So what is your opinion of our new arrival?” she asked, sipping her beverage and glancing imperceptibly in Finduilas’ direction. Dryea gave a thin smile.

“I don’t wish to jump to conclusions. I have only introduced myself thus far. She is a very beautiful and an undoubtedly well-learned woman. I have reason to believe she will do Denethor honor.” It was true that only a few noblewomen had not ever pined over the steward-to-be, Dryea and Elena included. They had been contented to sit and watch as the other maidens made fools of themselves before him, chuckling quietly behind fans. Now that Denethor was soon to be married to a foreigner, it would appear as though no one was laughing.

“I do however,” began Alethea, lowering her voice as she continued, “I am however a bit nervous. We had barely a warning that she was coming, and not even until a few days ago her purpose for coming. It seems a bit hasty.” They all nodded.

“We should not let our guard down. She is from a coastal--our town at that though it has been long, and now that I think back on it, I don’t recall any Finduilas.” Ruiel trailed off as she glanced towards the head of the table. Her eldest daughter nodded.

“Though she is young. We might have missed her…” Dryea trailed off, hoping to keep Ruiel’s intended rumor alive: Was Finduilas truly from Dol Amroth? The more suspicion towards her the better until the Morthaniawens could find out what they were to do with her.

“Still,” added Alethea, “we must be careful and stick together. I don’t want to see our Citadel fall into the hands of an enemy.” A universal conformity was shared and the fourth course was served as Elena returned to her seat only a few chairs down.

Dryea scanned the room for one face in particular she hadn’t seen yet and wished to speak with. The Lady Emilia was always one to glean mongering whispers from. It was through Emilia that Dryea began some of her most successful rumors. I wonder, Dryea thought, if Emilia would be interested in a high position of power after we take Gondor. She would make a very useful ally...