View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 01:39 AM   #215
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmm... excellent question Maikafanawen . Where indeed?

There seems to be some room for discussion on how Minas Tirith was precisely organised, as in whom lived where precisely. I think it likely that the Citadel, in the highest and 7th circle held more buildings than Tolkien may have mentioned in passing reference.

I also think it is likely that housing was arranged according to "status" in the city, in the manner of western European castles . The more important one was, the higher up in the city they lived.

So with that in mind, I'll suggest that the Manor be located on the 6th level. It's close to the 7th, where the Steward would reside in the King's ertwhile place within the Citadel. Morthaniawen is a House of some repute and wealth, so whilst it is not a member of the Steward's House or the King's (obviously), it is still powerful. So, the 6th level seems to best fit.

There are strategic advantages in this also. The Houses of Healing are on the 6th level - a good supply of necessary herbs for healing or poisoning for the Morthaniawen adders that are nested there. There is a tunnel from the 6th to the Citadel which might come in handy for both Umbar and Gondor contingents. It will be easier to get people in and out of the palace and the city from the 6th (assuming gates are not closed).

It's under direct scrutiny, allowing Morthaniawen the opportunity to work with some greater privacy as is necessary for them to do so. It provides good access to the Citadel, as expected of a established member of court. Also means spies find it easier to be sent into Morthaniawen Estate from the 7th level.

The Errand Riders are based on the 6th, so Ruiel, Dryea and Alethea will find it easy to blend in their own horsed errand riders with that traffic.

Finally, for the side of the "nice people", Morthaniawen Estate would be embedded deep within what is ultimately hostile territory for the Umbars. All the strategic advantages that offers are also accompanied by high risks should they be uncovered.

Of course, we can' forgot the wonderful views from the 6th. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hope that suits all. Please let me know what you think. I'm working on a description of the Estate now. Ruiel, in a move that is oddly permissive of her
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] , asks that her daughters and maids PM her with any preferences as far as accommodation goes. That way, my description fits with all resident's needs. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight