View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 12:39 PM   #320
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Dryea is going to need a few things to get out of Minas Tirith all right and back to Umbar so I put Mari to some good use. I hope this is all right:

Quote:
Mari shook nervously as she watched from the shadows of the alcove. A pack of clothes and other few necessities for herself was slung over her shoulder. The maid was unrecognizable in her loose-fitting black clothes with a sword strapped to her belt. Mari instead looked the part of a regular citizen tonight!

No more than ten minutes after Mari had overheard Ränne tell Ruiel of Dryea's arrest, the soldiers were swarming all over the Morthaniawen Estate like maggots attacking a host. Inconceivable fury overwhelmed her and she discarded her cloak of hesitance to do what was needed of her. The maid was two flights of stairs and three hallways away from Dryea's bedchambers and it was hence she ran. Ducking under tapestries and pulling down priceless vases to stop the soldiers who pursued, Mari made it twenty paces before they did and locked the door behind her.

Immediately they began to hack at the mahogany with swords. It took a few minutes for Mari to rip down the cover and loose the chain from behind the tapestry that let fall the iron-gate. It gave a tremendous crash and chips of mortar fell from the ceiling.

"HA!" the maid cried triumphantly. Curses were barely audible from behind the barricade as the soldiers stood dumbfounded, unsure of what to do.

Mari wasted no time. She ran to the closet and tore aside the assortment of gorgeous dresses to the safe in the back. Pulling her own dagger from her frock she picked at the lock until it clicked open. Inside she found the documents Dryea would need to return safely to Umbar. She kissed the envelope thankfully and stuffed it into the leather bag hanging from the peg just inside the compartment.

Next to go inside the bag was a change of clothes for Dryea. She would not get very far in that dress she had left the house in, so Mari included a pair of snug-fitting pants, a black swordsman's shirt, and leather jerkin. "Shoes!" she reminded herself and also added a pair of sturdy black leather boots. She left the closet then, bumping her head on the lowly hung frame. Shaking off the slight dizziness she rummaged through the desk and found a pair of slender long-knives.

Finally she stuffed a handful of jewels into one of the inner pockets in case other things must be purchased. The last thing she grabbed was Dryea's own sword, a gift from her and her mother's employer.

These things tied securely to her belt, or in the case of the bag draped over her shoulder, Mari opened the passageway inside the fireplace and let herself down carefully to the dark hallway below. She walked ten paces before coming across a lever. She tugged on it twice and a door opened into the kitchens. Mari looked around to make sure no one was there and then ran across the scullery to the door at the far side, her boots making no noise as she ran.

A gust of cold wind met Mari as she ran across the back lawn to the alley exit. There were no soldiers waiting for her.

"Mari!" a young masculine voice called. The maid turned to see her brother Drian give her a wink and wave a bloody dagger. "S'all taken care of Sis! Good luck!" Mari nodded and was off to the Citadel, hoping to catch up with Ruiel in time.

Elora: I was just wondering, when Ruiel "rescues" Dryea, she's not going to be mad at her is she? I mean, Alethea betrayed them and Dryea was actually doing really well and all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I think they should bond! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Oh yeah, I was also thinking that maybe Ruiel can see Mari sort of looking for her and snag her or something. Mari's being a v good little maid here helping to get them out safely. It'd be nice if Ruiel could help out a teensy bit, what do you think? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] One last thing, are Dryea & Ruiel going to try and do anything before they leave? What about Alethea?

Mm, how exciting

-Maikafanawen