View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 01:44 PM   #202
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pio -

Please place this for me where Aldwulf goes off for food to Fornost.

By the way - one league is about 3 miles.

Thanks! - E -

Envinyatar's post

They had been camped in the Downs for a number of days.

‘I’ll be going south then.’ Aldwulf crouched down and drew a crude map in the dirt with a stick. Opposite him was Awyrgan, who nodded his head ‘yes’ at the man’s statement. ‘About four leagues from here, and a short distance to the west,’ continued Aldwulf. Again, Awyrgan confirmed he had the right of it, then queried him on how he would approach the small settlement left in the ruins of Fornost.

‘I’m going south of it and approach it as if I’ve just come up from Bree. I’ll give some story if I’m asked that I’ve come up to see about some land for a small holding for my family. Goat farming, along the hills of the Downs. I’ll say I plan to stay at least a fortnight to cover my need for a quantity of food supplies.’

Aldwulf stood up, running the list of needed supplies through his mind one more time. He emptied his pack to make room for them, and shouldered it. ‘Look for me tomorrow, late,’ he said, fastening his sword securely round his hips. ‘I’ll come back as quickly as I can.’

The others saw him off, saying that they would post a lookout for him on the outcropping of rocks that jutted out from the low hillside that hid their camp. And that if there were any problems as he approached their camp, he should signal the lookout by stopping, as if weary, and readjusting his pack, then running his left hand through his hair, as if pushing it back from his forehead.

The instructions were repeated, and Aldwulf set off south at a brisk pace, keeping his eyes and ears open for any signs of trouble.