View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #21
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

"Which way are we heading?" Rhana asked after a while. Kane snorted. "Well, you know; our fearless leader didnt want to tell anyone in case they knew a different way, in which case they could argue. I reckon we'll be crossing the Snowbourne. We're close to a ford."
"Crossing it? On foot, and expecting not to be caught?" Now Rhana snorted. Kane nodded. "Exactly. However, Im not going to say anything - Gormel isnt too keen on me on the best of times."
At that moment the group stopped. Gormel was talking heatedly to Sadiya's husband, who it seemed had gone overboard even for himself with the drink, and hands were on swords. Kane smiled slightly; he certainly wouldnt miss Utha, and he somehow doubted Sadiya would either. Utha turned then and, seeing Kanes smile, stormed towards him, swinging his arm at the young man. Kane only just ducked, feeling the breeze past his face and his sword was out in a flash, its owners eyes narrowed.
"You have a problem, friend?" The last word was mocking and Utha narrowed his eyes. Gormel saw that he was this close to losing two of his thieves and now intervened, slapping Kane, who reeled, putting his hand to his face. He wisely didn’t hit him back, but glared resentfully at Gormel.
"Stop!" Gormel bellowed. Out of the corner of his eye Kane saw Sadiya wince at the noise and she placed her hand back onto the wicker basket on her back. Rhana was more forthright though. "Gormel, be quiet!" She sneered. He turned on her and she stood up to him. "Well, whats the point in having her brat drugged and having had the horses hooves bound if youre going to yell like that?"
Gormel snorted but said nothing. He couldnt have got out of the city alive without Rhana so he'd let it drop. This time.
"What is our route?" Rhana continued.
"Snowbourne." He grunted in reply. "We will cross the ford."
"On foot, O fearless leader?" Kane sneered and ducked again as one of henchmen, Bhurthnin, took a swing at him. Stepping nimbly away to the side, he continued. "We have some of Rohans finest horses here, and we're going to cross Snowbourne on foot?! Why not use the beasts?”
Gormel growled again and considered, before he nodded grudgingly. All the easterlings were able to ride bareback, and if they couldnt they would have to learn very fast. As Kane took one though, one of the finest horses, he found a sword at his throat. "Ill have that one, boy." Growled Gormel. The young easterling held his eyes as he quickly slipped one of many small daggers from his clothing and held it so it pricked the older mans stomach. After a moment of silence, Gormel resheathed his sword and turned to the rest.
"We will ride. I intend to be joining of the two rivers as soon as possible. Harm the horses and Ill do alot more harm to you."

Kane swung himself onto the horses bare back beside Rhana and they set off, with Gormel leading.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]