View Single Post
Old 03-29-2003, 05:10 PM   #34
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Anson nodded gravely as he listened to the newcomers, thinking as he did of his wife and children, scraping survival off of the stores that Della had wisely kept. It would last them for a while, but not forever. And many of the other hobbits in the Shire would not have had the foresight that came naturally to Della, and would not have anything reserved to provide for their families as this plague destroyed the livestock. Even the crops were suspect, for who knew which plant hosted the virus? His family, and indeed the whole Shire, needed him to agree to find this cure.

But his family needed him home alive, too, didn't they?

He shook that thought out of his head, and the others turned to him, mistaking his movement for disapproval. "I agree," he said quickly. "What Andunériel proposes seems to be the only option. But Marisilion presents a good point, as well. When we came, I told you that not all of us would be expected to come. In fact, most of us will not be." He looked around at the hobbits, his gaze solemn. "Those of you who chose to come with me are some of the bravest, most steadfast hobbits that the Shire has to offer. We cannot afford for none of us to return to the Shire. And it may well come to that, none of us returning." There was a little murmuring. Some of them had not thought of this possibility. "The world outside is not like our safe Shire. Travelling to Fangorn will not be like our short trip to Bree, my friends! There will be dangers, and I do not expect any of us to come back unharmed. We are at war, my dear hobbits, at war with this disease. And in war there are casualties. I do not want any of you to follow me to Fangorn without knowing that full well."

"Then you are going? For certain?" asked Holly Bolger, her voice wavering a little bit. She was a pretty woman, a mother of two young children, in her forties. She was from Hobbiton, having lived the middle of town all her life. No adventurer was she.

Anson smiled at her, warmly and sadly. "There is no choice, Mrs. Bolger. We are both parents. Some of us must go for the sake of our children." Holly looked uncomfortable, so Anson added, "I am not asking you. Your responsibilities lie with your children. But we will need some of us to go. I propose two, along with myself, from Hobbiton. Everyone else should go back home, and try to keep the Shire afloat until we return with the ainereg." He turned to the others. "We are more grateful than we can ever express for the help you have given us. Now we have direction. Is there anything else that any of you would like to add, or shall we begin the process of selection?"