View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

The sun lifted its face over the rolling land of Green Hill Country, beginning to ascend the sky. A lark woken by its warmth, shook awake her wings and feathers. Hungry, the little brown bird took off from its perch and soared above the gardens in Pincup. The cozy little hobbit town was just rousing as well. The lark spotted an open window in te side of one hobbit hole. Down she flew until her tiny feet rested on the smooth sill. She began to sing her song. Inside, a hobbit lass of only thirty was still sleeping. The sun filtered through her window and rested on her beautiful face. Peony stirred and woke finally, the sweet scent of breakfast compote mingling with the fresh morning air. The hobbit girl stretched and sighed heavily, adjusting her eyes to the morning light. She smiled at the lark upon her window sill.

“How very kind of you to wake me from such pleasant dreams.” The bird, startled from its song, flew off at the sound of her voice. Peony sighed,

“It’s just as well.” She stepped out of bed and rested her feet on the cool wood flooer. Discarding her nightgown, she donned a nice dress of pink and white checkers, and little frills around the collar and sleeves where they ended just below her elbows. No shoes of course, because she was a hobbit. Her curly radiant brownish red hair was frizzy from sleep and she splashed it quickly with water in an attempt to tame it. Peony brushed it out then and braided it elegantly down her back.

The day was hot as it made its way through the Fields’ house. The hobbit girl walked leisurely down the lengthy hall way past her brother’s a sister’s bedrooms to the breakfast eatery. On entering the kitchen, the rich scent of strawberry compote invaded her senses.

“Mmm! Moma! You outdid yourself! What’s the occasion?” She sat down at the table where her mother was busy setting out the rest of the china ware.

“Good morning child. I decided to make Gem’s favorite this morning since she had a poor time yesterday down at the creek.” Peony chuckled faintly, remembering how her youngest sister had fallen in the cool water, soaking her dress completely. She helped herself to a strawberry as her brothers Gundabald and Samwise entered the breakfast room, followed soon by her three sisters, Primrose carrying a sneezing Gem.

“Where’s Papa?” asked Mentha after all the Good mornings had been exchanged and the children were well on their way eating.

“He went to town. A couple farmers came by this morning. Something about their stock dying overnight. More tea Samwise?” Eglantine passed the intricately decorated pot towards the youngest boy.

“Were they the same farmers that have been having trouble with their crops as well?” Eglantine nodded, her mouth full of toast. At that moment, the door to the hobbit hole opened.

“Thank you Mr. Fields for coming with us. We’ll send help right away to Hobbiton.”

“Good idea Dinodas, anytime you need anything, just knock.” The door shut and Gromadoc entered the breakfast room, taking his place at the head of the table.

“Good morning family.” He reached for the toast and compote as they were passed to him.

“How is everything?” Eglantine looked towards her husband. He did not answer.

“Gromadoc?” The hobbit sighed and rested his forearms on the table.

“It’s a bad disease. It’s spread throughout the entire Shire. Stock are dying: cows, and sheep. They have little sores on their necks.” He stopped then and looked at his family. “We’ll go to Tookbank. Stay with your sister until things get cleared up.” The family nodded in agreement and packed that afternoon.

They had a wonderful time in Tookbank for the next three years. Peony celebrated her coming of age, and spent time with her best friend and cousin, Balbo. But the disease found them out and settled in Tookbank as well. At dinner one night, Peony decided what she must do.

“Moma, Papa. I’m going to Hobbiton—” Elgantine stood in protest but Gromadoc set a reassuring hand on her arm, “Let her finish dear.”

“I’m going to Hobbiton to get help. It is the only way. There, men and elves will know what to do and be able to help. Perhaps they know of a cure. Something must be done, or the Shire will slowly depopulate.” Her parents looked at her for a while, then Grombadoc stood.

“You’re right Peony, but You stay here. I’ll go.” Stubbornly, Peony counteracted him.

“You will be needed here Papa. Your place is in politics and diplomacy. You and Moma must make sure that the shire-folk do not loose hope. I’m old enough Papa, and should be getting out on my own soon anyways. This will be very good for me.”

“I still don’t like the idea of a little hobbit girl traveling all by herself—” Grombadoc was cut short.

“Papa, you know I’ll be fine.” With that she retired to her room to pack provisions. She discarded the frilly blue one she was wearing, and donned a more maneuverable dress of green and brown, suitable for traveling. In her bag she placed another brown and tan dress, and some breeches of Gundabalds, just in case. Along with that she placed two candles, some flint stones, rope, her dagger, three spice packages, and the necessary apples, bread, and cheese she would need. Clasped to the sides of her satchel were a few pots. Around her right shoulder she would wear a water canteen, and on her left a small sack of stones, and a slingshot. The hobbit carried her belongings into the hall and retrieved her cloak from the rack. It was a dark blue that went well with her eyes. Her mother entered the foyer along with the rest of her family. Eglantine draped the cloak across her daughter’s shoulders and clasped the silver buttons on the left side.

“Thanks Moma.” She hitched up her pack and equipped herself with her canteen and slingshot pouch. “Goodbye everybody. I’ll be back as soon as I can. Don’t wait up for me.” She winked and left the house before she could change her mind.

[ March 19, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]