View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 09:59 PM   #23
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Tolkien

With the white rose petals, another flower drifted into the glade, or at any rate a hobbit named for one. Barely too old to chase the petals, she watched them float away with a peculiar grin that almost erased the shyness from her face. This would be a party, indeed! Her sisters didn't know what they were missing, refusing to enter the Old Forest.

She turned indignantly at the sound of a low and immeasurably sweet voice making a rather sour remark. As the voice would have it, she, Pervinca Took, had no manners! The figure in green was only a few steps away, so Pervinca drew herself up to her full height of 3'2", took one or two steps forward, and put on her sternest frown. She didn't notice that the lady's mouth twitched slightly in amusement, because she had already begun her lecture.

"No manners? Is it manners, I ask you, to lurk in the bushes at a party? Is it manners not to introduce yourself? Would it be manners, then, to make remarks about the manners of others? Is it? ...oh," she added, suddenly dropping her voice to a whisper as she finally noticed that the person she was addressing had a light in her face, and a grace in her bearing, that the hobbit girl had never seen before. "Are you an elf?"

It was at that moment that Lassiël began to laugh, but quietly, and with a certain merriment that managed to escape being offensive. "Truly I apologize," she said, in a voice that was itself recompense.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum