View Single Post
Old 07-12-2003, 10:31 AM   #92
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

The Innkeeper sat at her desk, bleary-eyed from a night of little sleep and a previous day of long labour. She looked over the list of things which Froma wanted from the Market. She looked at the list of things she needed from the Market. There was much too much to buy for one person and she was really very tired. She decided to make a long list for Iswyn and Talan to take to Market. They could carry back the lighter items and have the merchants deliver the other products later in the afternoon.

three geese, live
five ducks, live
cream cheese and head cheese
cinnamon sticks and cardamon pods--three handfuls each
cloves--two handfuls
sugar beets
teas--black, green, orange

Bęthberry chuckled slightly to herself at the thought of the two balancing the cages of the animals with the other goods. She was able to keep a goat and chickens behind the Inn but had no room nor water enough for larger fowl. She hoped Hamish would be able to deliver them himself as the end of the day. She went back to writing her list.

soap flakes and bars
twelve pillow slips
sheets for two beds
nails, thumb-length and forefinger-length, one bag each
a hammar
another set of tack for the stable
two pitchforks

Seeing Iswyn come down the stairs, she called to the girl.

"Iswyn, has Froma given you any crucial work to do this morning in the kitchen? Work that only you can do?"

"No, Theora can do the plucking for the chicken stew."

"Then here, take this list with Talan, and here's the coin you need, to market. You've a good head on your shoulders and you'll be able to choose the best looking birds. And mind that the cheese is not overripe."

Iswyn nodded with excitement. A valid, real reason to be at Market. She couldn't believe her luck. At least a half day away from work. And spending part of it with Talan and part--well, Iswyn didn't finish the thought. She wondered what Delia would think. Then she giggled and ran off to find the young lad.

Bęthberry sank back into her large wicker chair, sipping on her tea and nibbling again at her breakfast toast and honey. The sweet brought back her memories of her strange night conversation with Madi. How he had enjoyed the honey, saying, "Gold, gold" as he sniffed the bread before eating it. There was something whimsically dear about the little fellow's eagerness to please her, something which brought a smile to her face and lightened the tiredness she felt in her limbs and back.

She looked back over the papers on her desk and found that she had forgotten to add to Iswyn's list the cloth needed for the elegant new table linens. Frowning, she muttered to herself under her breath with frustration and then almost jumped when she felt a poke at her left side.

"Yipes," squealed the Innkeeper in surprise and saw, as she looked down, huge round eyes, hooded, peering up at her reprovingly.

"Berry," said Madi, "don't hurt yourself."

"I beg your pardon?" she exclaimed.

"Don't mad yourself. It hurts."

The Innkeeper smiled into the earnest dark eyes of the little man and once again impulsively ruffled his messy dark hair. He rested his small hand on her forearm.

"Well, what shall I do, Madi? I need a bolt of blue satin cloth and forgot to put it on the market list. And I can"t leave the Inn unattended. And everyone else has gone to Market."

Madi looked up at her, excitement shining in his face and giving him a lopsided grin.

"Madi will do," he said.

Bęthberry thought for a minute. A long minute. She looked at her list and then she looked back at Madi.

"Blue satin," she said. "I need a bolt of blue satin cloth." Madi nodded his head eagerly, so eagerly his hood fell off his face. There was still a rim of chocolate stain around his mouth, a faint line of moustache, and a smudge of it on his nose. Bethberry wiped it all gently with a small handkerchief from her pocket and then placed in his palm two gold and three silver coins.

"Run off now and do this simple chore for me," she said. "Bring me blue satin." Madi tightened his fingers around the coins and tried hard to remember all the sensations he was experiencing. He didn't want to fail her.

Bęthberry sank back into her chair, wondering if she would be able to catch up on sleep later in the day.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

OOC: Maedlyn, the miller Aldhelm's wife, is with child and will shortly give birth. XPhial, who runs these characters, is looking for someone to play the midwife. Anyone who is interested should PM XPhial. The birthing is expected a few days after Market Day.

And scroll back to VanimaEdhel's post. She is offering her character Winde to anyone who would like to take him over. He's a fun guy.

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]