View Single Post
Old 06-16-2003, 08:28 AM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

A familiar sound, a light rat-tat-tapping on the pane of her window, woke Bęthberry. The early dawn light was creeping tentatively into her room, but she could still make out Wyrd's shape at the window, his beak resting against the glass in case he needed to knock again to draw her attention. She stretched her arms over her head and breathed deeply. The air was still chilled from the cool night, but it was fresh.

Running her fingers through her hair to tidy it, she crossed to the window, opened the lattice and lightly petted Wyrd on his head. The falcon twisted around, enjoying the preening, and then flew off, but not before Bęthberry caught the sound of panpipes.

Peering out the window, she saw the new Assistant Innkeeper, Aylwen Dreamsong, sitting in the kitchen garden, amongst the herbs and rhubarb. Aywlen was an old friend whose song and mirth, to say nothing of her other abilities, would be welcome in The Horse. Bęthberry leaned against the lattice work of the window to listen to the last echoing strains of "Rise up Day" on the panpipes. Awylwen was a good piper and the song lingered around the yard of The Horse, giving a lively sense of bustle and activity without rushing life.

"Well, enough of daydreaming," said the Innkeeper to herself. "There's work enough to be done getting everything in place for the party this evening." She walked to her desk and looked at her list--enormous, inevitable list--of things to do.

Check with Froma about the bill from the butcher and see what meal he had planned for the party
Ask Aywlen to watch out for the arrivals of beer, wine, flowers
Supervise the staff's cleaning of the extra rooms and the main mead hall
See if the Great Fireplace needed cleaning
Talk to the stable master
Watch out for Annawyn's apprentice, who would be bringing the repaired banners and bunting for the celebration

"Ah, too much! Let me get some breakfast and coffee before I start to work!" said the woman aloud, turning to dress for the day in her simple tunic of yellow linen, and making her way downstairs into the Mead Hall where the clash of plates and cutlery signalled that life in The White Horse was starting anew.